Apply A BAND-AID®
San Bernardino County Division I - Ages 11-14 (Middle School)
Saturday, March 04, 2017 Setup Time:
7:30 AM Contest Start Time:
Live Division I - Ages 11 - 14 (Middle School)
What we're studying:
We are taking PLTW Gateway to Technology; specifically studying Design and Modeling and Automation and Robotics. The 7th graders learn the design process, measurement, sketching and use of Autodesk Inventor. The 8th graders learn how to build mechanisms and automate them.Our Team Leader's favorite quote:
"With great power comes great responsibility" Uncle Ben - Spiderman; Stan LeeWhy we think we should win:
We are very determined, creative, and proud of our machine.Suggestion for next year's challenge:
Open a book; or turn the pages of a book.
It was a casual bike ride for Gerald, son of Jacob. In a dramatic turn of events, he crashed into a lake, breaking several bones. It is now our job, The Engineering Eagles, to help Gerald. Our machine has a substantial amount of chain of circumstances. It also incorporates exceptional electrical components and astonishing collaboration as a team.
Our Step List
Activation. Our human activation step is to drop a ball bearing into a wooden box.
1. Once the marble falls into the wooden box it then rolls into a tube.
2. The ball then rolls down the tube and then falls into a red cup.
3. After the ball bearing falls into red cup it activates a pulley system.
4. The pulley system then pulls a wooden box, which contains a ball bearing, releasing the ball bearing.
5. The ball bearing then falls into a spiral slide.
6. The ball bearing then hits two paperclips that activate an electrical circuit.
7. The electrical circuit then activates the water pump.
8. The water pump then pumps the water from a graduated cylinder into a bucket on the bike's pedal.
9. Once the water fills the bucket the bike is triggered.
10. The bike's back wheel then spins, pulling the string.
11. Once the string is pulled, it drags back a Popsicle stick .
12. Once the Popsicle stick is pulled back it releases a catapult.
13. The catapult then hits a trigger.
14. Once the trigger is hit, a car is launched.
15. Once the car is launched, it then hits a switch.
16. The switch then turns on a fan that moves a wheel with spoons attached to it.
17. The wheel then moves, which then pulls the Popsicle stick.
18. The Popsicle stick that was pulled releases a ball that then rolls down a ramp.
19. The ball hits a PVC pipe.
20. The PVC pipe then rolls and applies a band-aid.
Our Close-ups: Photos
Our Close-ups: Favorite Step
Our Close-ups: Task Completion
Our Machine Explaination and Walkthrough
Our Machine Run Videos