Put Money in a Piggy Bank
Online Division II - Ages 14 - 18 (High School)
Brendan Polidora - invitation signed.
Christopher Gabriel - invitation signed.
Edmund Brezny - invitation signed.
Joshua Sobolosky - invitation sent
Krista Kim - invitation signed.
Mara Fryer - invitation signed.
Margaret Matous - invitation sent
Sasha Planinsic - invitation signed.
Siegfried Saftner - invitation sent
Tyler Bradley - invitation signed.
Our Team Leader's favorite quote:
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne GretzkyWhy we think we should win:
The OLSH STEM club was started in January 2019 and this is our first competition. As a new club we feel accomplished with building this machine and working together as a group made up of all ages from Freshman to Seniors. We felt as a new club it was important to take a chance at our first competition so quickly.
With such a huge presence on sustainability and going green, we thought that a Rube Goldberg machine dealing with money could show a good correlation with recycling. Recycling and being sustainable can help to save companies money and put money in their bank. The machine is completely built with recycled material and nothing was purchased to build the machine. This consists of old toys and board games that were in closets to wood and parts of structures that were broken down and no longer in use, so we recycled them to build this machine.
Our machine shows that being sustainable and using recycled material for parts could help save money for companies and ultimately put money in their bank.
This is shown by using empty water bottles, cups, old toys, old school supplies, and wood that has been used for other things to function together in a series of steps to put the money in the piggy bank.
Our Step List
1. Ball is released down the ramps
2. The ball hits a pendulum to guide the ball down the funnel
3.The ball goes through the funnel to land on ramp
4. The ball then transitions to another ramp which guides through a tube
5. The ball hits the gate
6. A windup car is then released
7. The car hits the stick to remove it
8. Once the stick is removed the music box starts spinning
9. While spinning the music box releases a small ball down the ramp
10. The small ball runs into a bigger ball
11. The bigger ball once hit goes down a ramp to pull a weight
12. A windup car is released
13. The car hits a lever
14. The lever then pushes a weight off the board
15. The weight drops and releases water from the bottle
16. The bottle pours water into a cup
17. Once the cup fills enough it drops to pull up a second cup
18. The second cup hits a lever to release the weight
19. The weight falls and pulls barrier out
20. A ball is released down the ramp once barrier is removed
21. The ball then hits weight at end of ramp
22. The weight swings to hit a another ball
23. The ball rolls and drops into a cup
24. The cup then falls and pulls out a barrier
25. Once the barrier is removed the quarter is released and drops into the piggy bank
Our Close-ups: Photos
A maximum of 3 close-ups (scanned diagrams, photos). Images must be JPG or PNG, and less than 5 MB.
Our Close-ups: Task Completion
Our Machine Explaination and Walkthrough
Our Machine Run Videos