Open An Umbrella
St. Ansgar Science Department
Monday, February 22, 2016 Setup Time:
8:00 AM Contest Start Time:
Live Division II - Ages 14 - 18 (High School)
Kelley Molitor/Matt Finn
Our Step List
1. A ball rolls down a tube and hits a deck of cards.
2. The deck of cards hits a golf ball and makes it roll down another tube.
3. The ball rolls and hits a domino box that falls off of the coat rack.
4. The domino box triggers the purple drawer to rotate.
5. The drawer that rotated dumps marbles into another drawer with a pouch.
6. The pouch pulls the lever up.
7. The lever releases a golf ball.
8. The golf ball rolls through the tube hitting the pendulum.
9. The pendulum hits a ball.
10. The ball rolls through a tube to hit a deck of cards, creating a domino reaction.
11. The last block in the chain hits a pressure plate.
12. The pressure plate activates a littleBits motor.
13. The littleBits motor slides an individual Jenga block out of the Jenga tower.
14. The tower falls into a book, causing a domino-style chain reaction.
15. The book knocks over the toaster.
16. The toaster pulls the Apple AirPort, which in turn pulls a string attached to a pendulum.
17. The string releases golf balls down a looping race track.
18. The golf balls travel through a tube which activates a pulley.
19. The pulley knocks over the books, causing another chain reaction.
20. The books fall into a pressure plate that finally opens the umbrella.
Our Close-ups: Photos
Our Close-ups: Favorite Step
Our Close-ups: Task Completion
Our Machine Explaination and Walkthrough
Our Machine Run Videos