Turn Off A Light
Baltimore Washington SWE
Saturday, February 15, 2020 Setup Time:
9:30 AM Contest Start Time:
Live Division II - Ages 14 - 18 (High School)
Maggie Kreis - invitation signed.
Kathleen Stubbs - invitation signed.
Adele Jones - invitation signed.
Kaiya Watkins- Brent - invitation signed.
Sierra Kinsler - invitation signed.
Owen Flynn - invitation signed.
Sophia Parr - invitation signed.
Abby Warner - invitation signed.
Sara Mohammed - invitation sent
Savannah Arciaga - invitation signed.
Man (Sian) Pom - invitation sent
What we're studying:
We are all students from Catonsville High School, studying both engineering in Project Lead the Way courses and students new to engineering completely. We all challenge ourselves in our math and science classes, as many of us plan to go into a stem field in the future. Other elective classes allow us to branch into topics we might not necessarily see elsewhere, and allow us to show our creativity and stretch our problem-solving skills. Our Team Leader's favorite quote:
"Don't worry. As long as you hit that wire with the connecting hook at precisely eighty-eight miles per hour the instant the lightning strikes the tower... everything will be fine." -Dr. Emmett BrownWhy we think we should win:
Last year, some of the members of our team had the chance to go to nationals and won the Rube Goldberg Legacy award. To uphold our tradition, we tried to stay true to a classic Rube Goldberg machine: complicated, long, and most importantly, funny. We spent a lot of hours into our set and presentation leaving hidden easter eggs from the movie Back to the Future for any movie fanatics, and for anyone who isn't, we left a lot of comical elements for those more interested in the spirit of the machine. We also are very happy that we added a lot of new members to our team, as we got to teach them what we love so much about this competition. With anything new and so complex like this, we faced a lot of problems along the way, but took them in stride each time and came up with new, inventive ideas as a group to fix issues. Hopefully, all of our hard work pays off, and we can do Mr. Rube Goldberg himself proud. Suggestion for next year's challenge:
Rip a piece of paper
It can often feel like there are simply not enough hours in the day to get everything done, and every day stresses can often make us forgetful. This is even the case for everyone's favorite time travelers, Doctor Emmett Brown and Marty McFly. However, our Rube Goldberg machine solves one of Doc's biggest daily challenges-- remembering to turn off his workshop light--just in case while going Back to the Future, he runs "outta time".
Our Step List
1. Doc figurine falls down zip line
2. Doc figurine hits street sign dominoes
3. Last street sign knocks over flower pot
4. Car rolls out of flower pot (Wheel and axle simple machine)
5. Car hits box dominioes
6. Last domino hits open the front of the box
7. Front of box hits seesaw
8. Seesaw releases tape measure
9. Tape measure kicks back
10. Tape measure releases second tape measure
11. Tape measure hits mugs
12. Mugs knock can off shelf
13. Can weight pulls down lever (Lever simple machine)
14. Lever hits eject button on radio
15. Cassette slot opens to hit cassette tape down ramp (Inclined plane simple machine)
16. Cassette tape falls off shelf and hits slinky box down ramp (Inclined plane simple machine)
17. Slinky box knocks over book
18. Book switches seesaw
19. Seesaw pushes up block weight (Lever simple machine)
20. Block weight releases block of wood
21. Pulley pulls up block of wood/ weight goes down (Pulley simple machine)
22. Weight falling pulls up hammer to spin
23. Hammer pulls and spins wrench (Screw simple machine)
24. Wrench releases weight on zip line
25. Weight hits dart board
26. Dart board hits can off ramp (Inclined plane simple machine)
27. Can rolls of table and weight pulls own pencil
28. Pencil starts slinky (Wedge simple machine)
29. Slinky hits seven segment display down bar (Inclined plane simple machine)
30. Seven segment display hits can down ramp off table (Inclined plane simple machine)
31. Can pulls down clock gears to spin them (Screw simple machine)
32. Clock gears pull up cup
33. Cup hits golf ball into plinko
34. Golf ball goes through plinko, down track, and hits lacrosse ball
35. Lacrosse ball rolls down track and onto seesaw
36. Seesaw launches paper ball and releases screwdriver weight on pulley (Pulley simple machine)
37. Weight pulls string on lamp and light turns off
Our Close-ups: Photos
A maximum of 3 close-ups (scanned diagrams, photos). Images must be JPG or PNG, and less than 5 MB.
Our Close-ups: Task Completion
Our Machine Verbal Presentation. This is your team’s chance to shine and be creative! We want to hear the story your machine tells, and understand how the steps represent the theme and key elements of your narrative. The Machine Introduction should not be a step-by-step explanation of how the steps work. This is where your personality, humor, and team spirit engages the audience and gets them excited to see your machine.
Our Machine Run Videos