Pour A Bowl of Cereal
St. Ansgar High School
Friday, March 02, 2018 Setup Time:
8:00 AM Contest Start Time:
Live Division II - Ages 14 - 18 (High School)
Sebastian Beck - invitation signed.
Aricka Oppman - invitation signed.
Dylan Kisner - invitation signed.
Gavin Roe - invitation signed.
Michael Tretter - invitation signed.
What we're studying:
By participating in this Rube Goldberg Machine Contest, we are studying how force and momentum relate to the conservation of energy, specifically using simple machines to transfer mechanical energy into its components of kinetic and potential energy. Favorite Rube Goldberg video:
We started out wanting to use things involving a kitchen theme, but our machine slowly evolved into more of a hand-made wood-working theme. Besides the box of cereal, everything we used we either found or made. We tried to incorporate a great variety of steps. We combined our physics knowledge to try and create the most unique machine we could. We wanted to go from high to low, as well as side to side. The variance in height and placement makes it fun to watch as it runs through. We tried to incorporate as much potential energy as we could, as well as the necessary kinetic energy for the machine to work.
Our Step List
1. Marble rolls off block into coffee container
2. Coffee container pulls milk carton from table
3. Ball releases from carton, pulling string with ball attached
4. Cups pull out from under wood block
5. Wood block drops and string tightens releasing marble
6. Marble falls from the table, hitting the box
7. Marble falls from box, through funnel, and down the ramp into domino
8. Dominos fall over, pulling down lever
9. Lever raises on the opposite side and lifts copper pipe
10. Pipe drops and marbles roll out
11. Marble hits another marble down a hole
12. Marble rolls down ramp into domino
13. Dominos fall over pulling string downward; cup raises to release marble
14. Marble rolls down pipe and hits wooden spoon
15. Wooden spoon swings into golf ball
16. Golf ball rolls down the ramp and into the cup pyramid
17. Cups fall releasing marble on top
18. Marble swings into a cookbook
19. Cookbook closes slightly and drops frying pan
20. Frying pan sends rolling pin down the ramp
21. Rolling pin knocks over the weight
22. Weight lands on chip clip
23. Chip clip releases string connected to the coffee mug; coffee mug lowers onto spatula
24. Spatula raises and flips cereal box; cereal pours into bowl
Our Close-ups: Photos
A maximum of 3 close-ups (scanned diagrams, photos). Images must be JPG or PNG, and less than 5 MB.
Our Close-ups: Task Completion
Our Machine Explaination and Walkthrough
Our Machine Run Videos