Put Money in a Piggy Bank
Online Division I - Ages 11 - 14 (Middle School)
Olivia Thacker - invitation signed.
Clayton Thornbury - invitation sent
Olivia Adams - invitation signed.
Keylan Mills - invitation signed.
Chloe Allen - invitation sent
Ian Blackburn - invitation signed.
Adam Coleman - invitation signed.
Jackson Lucas - invitation sent
Allara Parsons - invitation signed.
Rain Trester - invitation sent
Isabella Mulkey - invitation signed.
Riley McPeek - invitation signed.
Emily Tucker - invitation signed.
Brady Coleman - invitation sent
What we're studying:
We are studying the engineering design process and how engineers must test and improve their designs multiple times before they succeed on a task! Our Team Leader's favorite quote:
"The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing."
Why we think we should win:
Pikeville. You have probably never heard of this city. We are a small town in Eastern Kentucky. Just because we are not a big city, such as New York City, does not mean we can not achieve big things. Our school, Pikeville Elementary, is known for our academic scores. We have achieved many things, such as our academic team winning region 5 years in a row. This is the first year we have ever competed in the Rube Goldberg Machine Competition. We have come so far over the course of time. In the beginning, our team had no idea who Rube Goldberg was. Our coaches, Mrs. Sarah Blackburn and Mrs. Beth Coleman, have helped us so much and we really owe this all to them. We have become so much better at engineering, building, cooperation, and editing because of these teachers bringing this to our school. Pikeville Elementary has flourished so much. Our Rube Goldberg team is part of our new STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Math) program, and we are all so excited to bring these types of opportunities to our school. Our practices are every Monday and Wednesday from 3-4. We give up this time that we could have spent doing sports, homework, studying, or other after-school activities. We have put so much time into this and hard effort and we have learned so much from this experience. This is the most difficult task many of us have ever done, but through it we have learned how to persevere and work as a team. This is why our team should win this competition.
Our machine has been designed to be a trip to the movies! Each section of our machine pays homage to our favorite films! Enjoy the show!
Our Step List
1. Drop marble into Infinity Gauntlet
2. Marble runs down two ramps that are connected
3. Marble then knocks down dominos
4. Dominos knock golf ball off table
5. Golf ball travels through bottle tunnel and hits a power switch
6. Power switch turns on fan at the top of the Harry Potter section
7. The fan blows the marble down the ramp and hits a little marble
8. Little marble hits the big marble
9. The big marble hits it off down the other ramp and knocks down Mary Poppins umbrella connected to a pulley
10. Pulley pulls marble at the top of a ramp
11. Marble rolls down ramp
12. Marble goes through the honey jar
13. Marble comes out of honey jar
14. Marble goes down through water bottle tunnel
15. Marble rolls down wooden ramp and hits larger marble
16. Larger marble hits smaller marble, which hits a piston
17. Piston hits coin, which goes into the piggy bank
Our Close-ups: Photos
A maximum of 3 close-ups (scanned diagrams, photos). Images must be JPG or PNG, and less than 5 MB.
Our Close-ups: Task Completion
Our Machine Explaination and Walkthrough
Our Machine Run Videos