Apply A BAND-AID®
Monday, March 20, 2017 Setup Time:
8:00 AM Contest Start Time:
Live Division II - Ages 14 - 18 (High School)
What we're studying:
Rotational motion, simple machines, and Engineering Design.Our Team Leader's favorite quote:
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." -EinsteinWhy we think we should win:
The project brought us together as a team, put our skills to the test and showed us how to overcome challenges.Suggestion for next year's challenge:
Raise a Flag
The theme of our Rube Goldberg Machine is "Jurassic Park". We have two back panels and three floor sections, it's BIG! Our team split into groups of 2 or 3 and we each developed 5 steps to incorporate into our final project. We were each responsible for ensuring our steps work. We then all came together to put the steps in order and decorate our machine to look like a scene from Jurassic Park the Movie.
Our Step List
Plum City Rube Goldberg Steps
Theme: “Jurassic Park”
1. The jeep is released at the top of a ramp.
2. The jeep rolls down the ramp into the gate.
3. The gate bumps into the helicopter, knocking it off the ledge.
4. The helicopter pulls up on the port-a-potty to start the music (dead end)
5. The helicopter releases a dinosaur down a ramp.
6. The dinosaur rolls down the ramp into a nest, causing it to tip.
7. The “eggs” in the nest fall into another nest, causing it to fall.
8. The nest releases a boulder.
9. The boulder rolls down a ramp and causes the teeter totter to tip.
10. The branch lifts the leaf.
11. The leaf knocks the jeep out of the tree.
12. The jeep pulls the popsicle stick out.
13. The popsicle stick releases the marble.
14. The marble hits another marble.
15. The marble rolls down a ramp and sets off a mouse trap.
16. The mousetrap knocks over the dominoes.
17. The dominoes knock the car off the cliff.
18. The car hits a teeter totter.
19. The teeter totter hits a tips a dinosaur.
20. The dinosaur hits a mouse trap.
21. The mouse trap pulls a weight.
22. The weight triggers two cars.
23. One car falls down a zip line (dead end) and the other car falls on a platform.
24. The plat form sticks the Band-Aid onto our action figure.
Our Close-ups: Photos
Our Close-ups: Favorite Step
Our Close-ups: Task Completion
Our Machine Explaination and Walkthrough
Our Machine Run Videos