Open An Umbrella
Online Division II - Ages 14 - 18 (High School)
What we're studying:
physics chemistry and biology. in these lessons we're studying energy transitions, kinematics, electricity and Optics. Our Team Leader's favorite quote:
"Our children must be taught how to think and not what to think"Why we think we should win:
We think we should win because the transitions were complicated , we worked together and we tried really hard. Suggestion for next year's challenge:
To Cut Onions with a knife. Favorite Rube Goldberg video:
In the process of building this machine we used more
than thirty energy transitions, using seven different
kinds of energy. The first kinds of energy we used in
this machine were kinetic and potential energies. As the
ball rolls after its meeting with the car, the potential
energy becomes kinetic.
Then we used the lighting energy as three lights bulbs light
the solar baseboard causing the next light bulb to set in
power. The next step was using the mechanic and electric
energy to transfer the water from one container to the next
using electric energy. At last the use sound energy is
emphasized by the bell, and the use of the heat energy is
emphasized by the warmth of the lights in the machine.
In conclusion, by pushing a ball using the car we were able
to open an umbrella.
Our Step List
1. the machine starts with a cell phone (no.1) call to another phone (no.2) in the machine
2. the phone (no.2) is connected to a car and the activates it.
3. the car moves and drops a ball on the right.
4. the ball falls and enters a tube.
5. in the tube the ball preforms a loop (transfer of potential energy to kinetic energy and vice versa) leading to steps 19-27.
6. while the ball running in the tube it activates a switch (leading to steps 7-15)
7.the switch activates a pump trough electric circuit.
8. the pump fills a container with blue liquid.
9. using Communicating vessels the liquid moves to another container.
10. the liquid in the second container closes another electric circuit and activates an electric engine.
11. the engine transfer its movement trough strip
12. the strip actives a dynamo.
13. the dynamo generates electricity given to 4 light bulbs.
14. the light from the bulbs is then collected by a solar panel
15. the solar panel turns on 6 leds.
16. the ball hits another ball.
17. the other ball hits the pendulum
18. the pendulum hits a bell.
19. the bell ring activates trough software the car (which was connected to the phone).
20. the car drives backwards and drops a ball.
21. the ball enters a loop and drops a weight and continue to another tube.
22. the weight activates a swing and in the same time the ball drops another weight.
23. the Weight drops
24. the weight connected to a rope.
25. the rope become not stretched and drops a weight.
26. the weight presses a button
27. the button trough spring opens the Umbrella.
Our Close-ups: Photos
Our Close-ups: Favorite Step
Our Close-ups: Task Completion
Our Machine Explaination and Walkthrough
Our Machine Run Videos