Open An Umbrella
Online Division I - Ages 11 - 14 (Middle School)
What we're studying:
How to be engineers and scientists while working with how energy is transferred and absorbed while dealing with momentum, but still being crazy creative!
How to be problem solvers and learning that the small stuff is so important.
Working as a team, being flexible and having fun! Our Team Leader's favorite quote:
"Does that sound good?"Favorite Rube Goldberg video:
Batman Chasing Penguin Through Gotham City
Our Step List
1. Batman on matchbox car starts the machine by going down a ramp.
2. Batman falls into a cup that lifts a lever holding a large marble.
3. Marble rolls down 8 clear tubes and hits a tongue depressor.
4. Tongue depressor is pushed down and drops the record player arm onto the spinning record - this starts the "batman" theme song.
5. Marble also falls into a cup that drops and Batman goes down a zip line.
6. When batman hits the end of the zip line, a hinge is pushed that lets fishing weights drop and opens 3 burets.
7. The liquid from the burets flow through tubes into a container.
8. The container drops on the lever which also drops the Erlyenmeyer flask and the baking soda in the balloon pours into the flask with vinegar.
9. The balloon will ultimately pop but as if enlarges it will trigger...
* The weight attached to the umbrella cover will fly up by a pulley and the umbrella will open.
* The weight will fall into a basket that is another pulley attached to the umbrella and penguin. They will both fly up and escape Batman's wrath.
Our Close-ups: Photos
Our Close-ups: Favorite Step
Our Close-ups: Task Completion
Our Machine Explaination and Walkthrough
Our Machine Run Videos