Put Money in a Piggy Bank
Genesis: Pathways to Success
Saturday, March 09, 2019 Setup Time:
8:30 AM Contest Start Time:
Live Division II - Ages 14 - 18 (High School)
Logan Cobler - invitation signed.
Seth Pohle - invitation signed.
Landon Ledford - invitation signed.
Gage Unrath - invitation signed.
Rebekah Dodge - invitation signed.
Dylan Swinney - invitation signed.
Dylan Meyer - invitation signed.
Shay Riley - invitation signed.
Kara Merkel - invitation signed.
Hunter Liming - invitation signed.
Alex Fuqua - invitation signed.
Gary Lewis - invitation signed.
What we're studying:
When we decided on our theme, we watched "Toy Story" so that we could take ideas from the movie and apply them to our machine. We were able to take scenes from the movie and create similar steps in our machine. We also tried to take ideas from the movie, like when a person comes all of the toys hide, and apply them to the machine. Every member of our team is either currently taking, or has taken, multiple engineering classes. We take principles we are learning in those classes, like simple machines, 3-D printing, programming, and our knowledge of motors. In order to build our base we also had to study how to put up dry wall, put in flooring, and put up trim.Our Team Leader's favorite quote:
"Learn how to learn." Paul TholeWhy we think we should win:
Our team has a lot of people who have participated in Rube Goldberg for years, but there is also people who have never participated. The combination of people who are experienced and non-experienced is sometimes challenging, but it has helped us simplify things, have new ideas, and gave us the opportunity to learn and teach people more about Rube Goldberg. Rube Goldberg machines are supposed to be funny, and our machine has elements that will make the audience laugh. In addition, we have had to learn how to work as a team, even though we work at different times. We have a class where we work on Rube Goldberg, but only three of us are in that class. We all had to work extra time after school, during other classes, and on weekends. The students put in extra time and effort to create an amazing machine.Suggestion for next year's challenge:
Untie a shoeFavorite Rube Goldberg video:
It's Andy's birthday, and the toys are in his room frantically trying to save up enough money to buy him a present. After several mishaps, a visit from an unwanted friend, and money on the loose, Hamm finally comes up with enough to buy Andy a present.
Our Step List
1. Tip monkey barrel
2. Monkey barrel rolls down ramp
3. Monkey barrel falls off ramp
4. Monkey barrel hits switch
5. Switch connects circuit to Microcontroller
6. Microcontroller turns on vex motor
7. Motor pulls cardboard city cow
8. Cardboard city presses limit switch
9. Limit Switch connects circuit to microcontroller
10. Microcontroller turns on VEX motor
11. Motor pulls army men
12. Army men pull up a seesaw
13. Seesaw tilts
14. Seesaw hits catch of mousetrap
15. Mousetrap is released, causing the motor to stop
16. Mousetrap pulls block out from underneath ramp
17. Block releases pin in ramp
18. Pin releases globe
19. Globe rolls down ramp
20. Globe hits lamp
21. Swivel lamp knocks into piggy bank
22. Piggy Bank is tipped, emptying it
23. Coins fall into cone
24. Added weight to cone forces a pulley to turn
25. String pulls up platform
26. RC (from Toy Story) rolls down platform
27. Car hits Geometry book
28. Book falls
29. Book hits hydraulics
30. Hydraulics are push down
31. Hydraulics raise platform
32. Woody slides off of platform
33. Woody pulled flying woody
34. Pulley in space Woody turns
35. Flying woody moves upward
36. Flying woody hits shelf
37. Shelf acts as teeter-totter and flying woody raises the left side of the shelf
38. Right side of shelf is lowered
39. Shelf releases Flying buzz
40. Buzz Lightyear flies/slides on the string/wire as though he is flying
41. Buzz hits box on "The Claw"
42. Box is on top of a string, box moves off of string
43. Claw on the string is released and falls
44. Claw hits lever
45. Lever rotates
46. The lever that the claw hit flips Jessie off the bed
47. Jessie falls into box
48. Limit Switches in bottom of box is hit
49. Button connects circuit to microcontroller
50. Microcontroller starts VEX motor pulling Sid
51. Sid’s head connects VEX limit Switch when it reaches the top
52. VEX limit Switch connects circuit to microcontroller
53. Microcontroller moves servo
54. Servo raises lid of Pizza Box
55. Lid of Pizza Boxpulls hits mini Buzz
56. Buzz falls from window, with a string attached
57. String pulls trigger on mousetrap
58. Mousetrap latch is released
59. Spring in mousetrap flips bar
60. Mousetrap bar pulls block out from under the boot
61. Boot rotates around axis
62. Snake slides out of boot and down a ramp
63. Snake lands in cylinder
64. The weight from the snake causes lever to turn
65. Lever pushes weight from bed
66. Weights falls
67. Pulley attached to the weight turns
68. Tortilla Mr. Potato Head is pulled up
69. Mr. Potato Head hits mousetrap trigger
70. Mousetrap spring pulls bar on mousetrap
71. Mousetrap pulls slip knot
72. Slip knot tightens on scissors
73. Scissors cut string holding up coin and army man
74. Coin falls
75. Coin is inserted in piggy bank
Our Close-ups: Photos
A maximum of 3 close-ups (scanned diagrams, photos). Images must be JPG or PNG, and less than 5 MB.
Our Close-ups: Task Completion
Our Machine Explaination and Walkthrough
Our Machine Run Videos