Put Money in a Piggy Bank
Online Division I - Ages 11 - 14 (Middle School)
Sisi Ackley - invitation signed.
Ethan Kim - invitation signed.
Maya Srinivasan - invitation signed.
Shruthi Ramanathan - invitation signed.
Chloe Skinner - invitation signed.
What we're studying:
We are 7th and 8th graders in a Rube Goldberg elective. We are studying simple machines and how to use them in the silliest way possible. Our Team Leader's favorite quote:
Our favorite quote is "To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk." by Thomas Edison. Why we think we should win:
We think we should win because we put in a lot of effort and time. We stayed late after school for hours and even worked on our machine during weekends and school breaks. We worked really well as a team and had a lot of fun building our machine. We creatively combined the themes Robin Hood and piggy banks. Our team name is "Robbin' the Bank", referring to Robin Hood stealing the kind's gold and Robin Hood's treehouse is also called "Robin's Hood" on our stage. Suggestion for next year's challenge:
Taking the cap off of a marker
Turning off an alarm clock
Turning on a computerFavorite Rube Goldberg video:
We are the Robbin’ the Bank team and this is our Robin Hood-themed Rube Goldberg Machine.
Robin Hood has taken a huge risk. He has decided to steal gold from King Richard’s castle and distribute it among the poor. In order not to get caught by the king’s guards, he decides to build a Rube Goldberg Machine to store and protect the money in a piggy bank hidden in a tree in Sherwood Forest.
Our Step List
1. Robin Hood hits the target, pushing in a stick attached to a cup inside.
2. The cup tips over, releasing the coin stack hidden inside the cup.
3. The coin stack falls down onto the left side of the balance scale.
4. As the left side of the scale goes down, the right side goes up and pulls on a string.
5. The string yanks out a block from underneath the car ramp.
6. The ramp lowers, causing the car to roll down the ramp.
7. As the car rolls down the ramp, it pulls on a string attached to a clear cup.
8. The cup tips over, releasing a golf ball.
9. The golf ball rolls down the ramp and knocks over dominoes.
10. The last domino knocks a gold brick off the edge of the shelf.
11. As the brick falls, it pulls on a string attached to a binder clip between the magnets keeping the drawbridge closed.
12. When the binder clip is pulled out, it releases the magnets, opening the drawbridge.
13. The string attached to the drawbridge pulls down the string of beads in a clear cup.
14. When the end of the beads fall, they pull on a string attached to a domino.
15.The domino falls, releasing a golf ball on the ramp.
16. The golf ball rolls down the inclined plane and pulls on an attached string.
17. The string pulls down a ball resting on top of the beam.
18. As the ball falls, it pulls out a binder clip from between two magnets.
19. The monkey attached to the binder clip falls down the zip line.
20. The monkey knocks over the wooden blocks on the floor.
21. When the last block falls, it pulls on a string that lifts up a cup.
22. The cup releases a golf ball resting underneath.
23. The golf ball rolls down the pool noodle ramp, knocking over more wooden blocks.
24. When the last wooden block falls, it hits a stick out from underneath a wooden hammer.
25. The wooden block hammer drops, pushing a toothpick into the wall.
26. The toothpick releases a string attached to the pulley.
27. As the pulley drops, it pulls on a string attached to a block on the ramp.
28. The block falls, releasing a tennis ball.
29. The tennis ball rolls down the ramp and knocks over dominoes.
30. The last domino hits a marble pendulum.
31. The pendulum swings across the gap, knocking over the dominoes on the other shelf.
32. The last domino knocks two steel marbles down a series of ramps and tubes.
33. The marbles fall into a plastic cup, weighing it down.
34. As the cup drops, sets the pulley in motion, and pulls on a string attached to an index card.
35. The index card is pulled out of the marble ramp, releasing two marbles stored inside.
36. The marbles roll down the marble ramp and hit pennies stored at the bottom of the ramp.
37. The pennies falls down into the plastic and cardstock sleeves.
38. The pennies roll down the sleeves and drop into the piggy bank!
Our Close-ups: Photos
A maximum of 3 close-ups (scanned diagrams, photos). Images must be JPG or PNG, and less than 5 MB.
Our Close-ups: Task Completion
Our Machine Explaination and Walkthrough
Our Machine Run Videos