Put Money in a Piggy Bank
Engineering Open House
Friday, March 08, 2019 Setup Time:
7:00 AM Contest Start Time:
Live Division II - Ages 14 - 18 (High School)
Gage Brust - invitation signed.
Emma Halteman - invitation signed.
Paige Zolnierek - invitation signed.
Claire Pfeifer - invitation signed.
This machine takes us back to our childhoods with different toys, games, and crafts from the early 2000s. It takes us through a series of steps including some of our favorite toys and colors.
Our Step List
1. A marble rolls down a ramp and hits a domino.
2. The dominoes fall and the last one falls off transferring energy to, and in turn moving, a wooden stick.
3. The stick releases a cylinder that is waiting to roll down a ramp.
4. The cylinder hits a marble that is waiting.
5. The marble rolls down a track and hits a line of dominoes.
6. The dominoes fall and the last one falls into a pulley basket.
7. The weight of the basket on the pulley pulls a see-saw so that the opposite side goes down.
8. The see-saw going down releases a ball that was in the basket.
9. The ball goes down a tube and hits a "ferris wheel" with a small paddle.
10. The paddle hits a marble that goes into a track.
11. The marble hits and knocks over a domino supporting a bridge, completing a track for later.
12. The "ferris wheel" turning causes a string to pull a lever.
13. The lever releases a golf ball, which rolls down a track.
14. The golf ball hits a door stopper (lever) attached to a bolt which acts as an axle.
15. The lever hits a different ball, which goes down a track.
16. The ball falls into a hole with a net which is attached to a lever. The net falling triggers the lever.
17. The lever releases a ball which rolls down the track that was completed with the bridge (from step 11)
18. The ball falls into a pulley basket.
19. The force of the ball makes the pulley go down on that side and the other side releases a small block.
20. The block moving releases a marble which rolls down a track.
21. The marble goes into a pulley basket and the other side of the pulley goes up, moving another wooden stick.
22. The stick releases a ping pong paddle.
23. The paddle hits the shelf the coin is on, causing the coin to roll into a backboard and fall into a piggy bank.
Our Close-ups: Photos
A maximum of 3 close-ups (scanned diagrams, photos). Images must be JPG or PNG, and less than 5 MB.
Our Close-ups: Task Completion
Our Machine Explaination and Walkthrough
Our Machine Run Videos