Pour A Bowl of Cereal
University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign: Engineering Open House 2018
Friday, March 09, 2018 Setup Time:
7:00 AM Contest Start Time:
Live Division II - Ages 14 - 18 (High School)
Abigail Fryer - invitation signed.
Tim Dodge - invitation signed.
Channah Brown - invitation signed.
Kathryn Bell - invitation signed.
Erin Morrison - invitation signed.
Kailyn Stuber - invitation signed.
Favorite Rube Goldberg video:
The blueprints to the "unsinkable" ship.
Our Step List
1. A car and lever chain reaction starts off the machine
2. The last car hits a zip line.
3. The zip line hits a marble that rolls down an open ramp, through a tube and into a bucket
4. The marble weighs down the bucket on a pulley system and lifts a ramp
5. The ramp starts a new marble rolling into another bucket
6. The second bucket is weighed down, releasing a car
7. The car knocks over a hammer
8. The hammer swings down and starts a marble chain reaction
9. The marbles fall onto a button
10. The button turns on a hair dryer, causing a sail car to start rolling
11. The sail car hits a marble
12. The marble drops through a gear system, and into a cup
13. The cup swings down, pushing a rod
14. The rod knocks over a railroad tie
15. The railroad tie falls, releasing a cap which pulls a string
16. The string pulls a lever, dropping a ball
17. The ball rolls over a lever, pushing it down and dropping a weight
18. The weight sets off a mouse trap
19. The mouse trap pulls a string, shooting a nerf gun
20. The nerf gun shoots a hammer
21. The hammer falls on a lever
22. The lever pushes a weight off the machine
23. The weight unwraps a box
24. The box opens, releasing a ball attached to a pulley
25. The weight on the other side of the pulley drops onto a lever
26. The lever snaps a rubber band
27. When the rubber band is out of the way, a slow-rolling wheel starts
28. The slow-rolling wheel knocks over a house of cards
29. The house of cards sets off a mouse trap
30. The mouse trap pulls a string, removing a support
31. The support drops a magnet
32. The magnet falls and, being held up by another magnet, releases some metal balls
33. The metal balls roll into a cup on a string, weighing down and pulling the string
34. The string starts spinning a tilted wheel
35. A marble on the tilted wheel rolls off and into a cup attached to another wheel
36. The weight of the marble in the cup spins a wheel, causing a wheel chain reaction
38. The chain reaction starts a golf ball down a ramp
39. The golf ball hits a metal marble
40. The metal marble hits the line of marbles and knocks the last one off
41. The last marble knocks over a Popsicle stick
42. The Popsicle stick hits a mouse trap
43. The mouse trap turns on a power strip
44. The power strip turns on gears
45. The gears drop a weight
46. The weight releases a string, causing another weight to fall
47. The second weight falls, pulling a battery off a platform
48. The battery falls onto a string, releasing a hammer attached to a pully
49. The hammer and pully system lift one end of the Titanic, tipping it and causing the smoke stacks to fall over
50. The last smoke stack falls and pours the cereal
Our Close-ups: Photos
A maximum of 3 close-ups (scanned diagrams, photos). Images must be JPG or PNG, and less than 5 MB.
Our Close-ups: Task Completion
Our Machine Explaination and Walkthrough
Our Machine Run Videos