Apply A BAND-AID®
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
Friday, March 10, 2017 Setup Time:
8:30 AM Contest Start Time:
Live Division II - Ages 14 - 18 (High School)
What we're studying:
torque, mechanical advantage, levers, Our Team Leader's favorite quote:
"Don't be such an Axle" "It's Lumber!" Why we think we should win:
we think we should win because, we have put in lots of time and effort into our contraption also we have learned a lot as a team and how to collaborate with one anotherSuggestion for next year's challenge:
Make a cup of coffee.Favorite Rube Goldberg video:
The theme for West High School’s human beings is a department store, mainly, an accident within the department store. Home appliances, toys, tools, sports gear and other shelf items clash against each other and create a chain reaction that result in the application of a adhesive bandage or better know as a Band-aid. The “store manager” advertises our incredible deals to its customers when suddenly a careless employee pumps a sphygmomanometer to demonstrate its function and high quality but starts a chain reaction in the process. It's going to be a long shift and there's much to clean at aisle…...sigh…..EVERYWHERE.
Our Step List
1. Bladder is squeezed several times filling sphygmomanometer.
2. Filled Sphygmomanometer lifts chalk board ruler.
3. Chalk board ruler rolls 20 lb dumbbell.
4. 20 lb dumbbell pulls on string.
5. Stings pulls joystick on remote controller.
6. Forward joystick transmits radio wave signals to RC car.
7. Radio wave signals turns motor on.
8. Turned on motor pushes car into cue stick
9. Cue stick hits cue ball.
10. Rolling cue ball hits 8 ball, making it fall into ramp.
11. Falling 8 ball dislodges dowel rod.
12. Vibrating frisbee dislodges dowel rod.
13. Dislodged dowel rod causes racket to rotate.
14. Rotating racket tilts ramp.
15. Tilted ramp releases car.
16. Car travels down the ramp and knocks out clothes pin.
17. Clothes pin releases toy duck.
18. Released toy duck travels down grill rack
19. Duck hits bread
20. Bread pushes speaker button on.
21. Speaker button transfers electricity to speakers power source.
22. Powered speaker plays music which bounces softball.
23. Bouncing softball falls into mouse trap.
24. Mouse trap pulls Popsicle stick. .
25. Pulled Popsicle stick releases suspended golf ball.
26. Golf Ball travels down funnel, into ramp and hits book.
27. Book falls into open waffle maker.
28. Waffle maker closes scissors.
29. Scissors cuts fishing line.
30. Fishing line releases hammer.
31. Hammer swings and bumps into basketball.
32. Rolling basketball hits iron ball which then falls on bucket.
33. Weighted bucket falls, which pulls on strings.
34. String attached on pulley lifts fire truck ladder.
35. Fire truck ramp tilts basketball
36. Basketball falls on wooden ramp and hits bowling ball.
37. Bowling ball falls into plunger.
38. Plunger forces air through tubing.
39. Pressured air pushes water jug.
40. Tilted water jug releases water through hose.
41. Water falling through the hose spills into bucket.
42. Bucket tilts lever.
43. Tilted lever pushes on drill button.
44. Pressed drill button closes circuit, causing electrical current through power source
45. Power source turns on drill.
46. Rotating drill shortens string.
47. Shortening string pulls weight off bike pump.
48. Bike pump releases and hits bike pedal.
49. Bike pedal turns chain.
50. Chain turns bike gears attached on axle.
51. Turning gears rotate the bike wheel.
52. Rotating bike wheel pulls on string attached on Nerf gun.
53. String pulls Nerf gun trigger.
54. Nerf gun trigger releases pressurized air.
55. Pressurized air shoots Nerf dart .
56. Nerf dart dislodges spatula.
57. Spatula hits clamps on wheel.
58. Clamp forces wheel to move and break balsa stick.
59. Balsa stick releasing wheel
60. Wheel spins clockwise
61. Spinning wheel pulls string.
62. String pulls washer.
63. Washer releases Mentos.
64. Mentos fall into diet Coke.
65. Mentos reacts with diet coke.
66. Coke overflows into bucket.
67. Bucket tips lever.
68. Tipped lever lifts magnet on other end.
69. Lifted magnet cuts magnetic connection with magnet in PVC cylinder.
70. Magnet releases PVC cylinder.
71. PVC pipe rolls down ramp.
72. Band-aid adheres to hand.
Our Close-ups: Photos
Our Close-ups: Favorite Step
Our Close-ups: Task Completion
Our Machine Explaination and Walkthrough
Our Machine Run Videos