Erase A Chalkboard
Online Division I - Ages 11 - 14 (Middle School)
What we're studying:
We are studying creative problem solving and fascinating physics while having lots of fun. We also learned ALOT about patience, persistence and teamwork!Our Team Leader's favorite quote:
"Look out for the JENGAS!!!"Why we think we should win:
Our Rube-O-Active team has pooled our resources (toys), hours, and brainpower to create a colorful, fun, themed, and unusual way to "erase a chalkboard." Our fingers have suffered hot glue burns and "mousetrap snap stingers," but it was well worth it seeing our machine pull off the challenge.Favorite Rube Goldberg video:
Welcome to the "Rube-O-Active Transportation Station." Our themed machine highlights many modes of transportation including our star, "Rhino the hamster" riding a horse, cars, trains, jets on zip lines, space ships and even a Goldberg Metro tunnel. All of these work together to finally power the nuclear reactor fan that erases the chalkboard the "Rube-O-Active"
Our Step List
Rube-O-Active "Transportation Station" Steps
1) A Rube-O-Active team member pushes Hot Wheels car zigzagging down track.
2) Hot Wheels car bumps marble track causing marble to roll down green track and down a tunnel.
3) Marble bumps domino and triggers multiple dominoes to cascade.
4) Falling dominoes trigger mousetrap causing it to snap and pull a gate open with string connecting mousetrap to the gate.
5) Open gate allows car moving in a circular loop, to travel off track through Goldberg Metro Tunnel. The off-road car pulls off Popsicle stick that is connected to the car by a string.
6) Popsicle stick removal allows marble to travel down funnel and marble raceway ultimately falling into bucket suspended on tennis racket handle.
7) Weight of marble in bucket causes tennis racket with Jenga tower balanced on head to tip, causing Jengas to collapse and cascade into crate.
8) One of the Jenga blocks in tower is connected by a string to another Jenga block positioned on a track, just in front of a Hot Wheels car. When the Jengas fall, the Jenga in front of the Hot Wheel car falls as well and allows car to speed down a track.
9. Hot Wheels car zooms down track and back up with help of a Hot Wheels launcher and car flies off track into a metal bucket dislodging a taut string gently held in place by a magnet to side of metal bucket. The string is connected to a toy jet.
10) Released string allows toy jet to travel down a string zipline and bump into a hinged paint stick. (Our Favorite Step)
11) Paint stick motion bumps James the Train down the track.
12) James is connected by a string to a finger-shaped pen holding a marble in place. When James pulls out of the station, the finger pen is dislodged allowing release of the marble down a track.
13) Marble rolls down track triggering a mousetrap at the bottom.
14) Mousetrap triggering causes movement of a Lego stack by a string that connects the mousetrap to the Legos.
15) Movement of the Legos allows a weight they were holding in place to fall directly on Power Button of a table fan.
16) Fan turns on and polyester- covered blades rub against chalkboard and erase our Rube-O-Active logo!
Our Close-ups: Photos
Our Close-ups: Favorite Step
Our Close-ups: Task Completion
Our Machine Explaination and Walkthrough
Our Machine Run Videos