Apply A BAND-AID®
Saturday, February 18, 2017 Setup Time:
7:00 AM Contest Start Time:
Live Division II - Ages 14 - 18 (High School)
What we're studying:
The Design Process, construction skills, working as a team, the art of communication.Our Team Leader's favorite quote:
That's never happened before!Why we think we should win:
This machine is fun and easy to watch.
Our Step List
One day, on a splendid summer afternoon, Madeline Dolly was out having fun on the playground, as a young child should. Madeline was having a great day... until she fell off the swing. All that Madeline can do now is wait for help in a most unexpected way.
1. When the swing comes back by, it happens to hit the clothespin.
2. The clothespin lets go of the string that it held, allowing the spring horse to rock freely.
3. The horse knocks over some juice cartons.
4. A string tied to the cartons tug a string that was being used to hold a tether-doll in place.
5. The tether-doll unwinds itself down the pole, and at the bottom hits a purple Frisbee.
6. Releasing a weight and setting off a literal domino effect up the steps to the slide.
7. The final domino hits a ball positioned at the top of the slide that commences to make it’s way down the zigzag pattern of the slide.
8. At the bottom of its path the ball fall onto a wedge, sliding further underneath a jar of baking soda and vinegar until it tips over the hinged platform that it’s fastened to, mixing the two ingredients.
9. The gasses produced from the reaction inflate a balloon
10. Above the balloon, is a cup full of old metal beads that gets pushed over as the balloon inflates.
11. The beads attach to a hanging magnet, adding enough weight to cause it to pull the string.
12. The string pulls and tips over the hammer to hits an electrical switch.
13. Which starts the motor.
14. The switch starts an electric motor that spins the merry-go-round.
15. As it rotates, a lever that was hanging off is caught by a wooden block and is pushed into place to complete another electric circuit.
16. Electric power is released to start up the fan.
17. The fan blows and inflates a plastic bag.
18. As the plastic bag inflates, it becomes large enough to tip the lever that releases a pendulum.
19. The ball swings and knocks into the back of a toy car that rolls down the track and knocks into a rotating arm.
20. The rotating arm swings and tips over the finger pointer.
21. The finger pointer rotates with the rest of the merry go round, eventually pressing down another electrical switch.
22. The switch activates a motor connected to a few gears in order to rock the teeter-totter.
23. Once one side of the teeter-totter reaches a certain height, a marble will roll down it’s zigzag pathway and onto a set mousetrap.
24. The mousetrap yanks a string with a metal ball attached that falls off the side of the teeter-totter and pulls a chain of plastic beads.
25. The beads pull off a small weight that pulls a plastic straw holding the fly swatter.
26. The fly swatter with an attached bandage falls, applying a Band-Aid® on the leg of Madeline Dolly.
With her “boo-boo” covered, she can play again before the day comes to an end.
Our Close-ups: Photos
Our Close-ups: Favorite Step
Our Close-ups: Task Completion
Our Machine Explaination and Walkthrough
Our Machine Run Videos