Pour A Bowl of Cereal
Lower Hudson Valley Engineering Expo
Sunday, April 15, 2018 Setup Time:
9:00 AM Contest Start Time:
Live Division I - Ages 11 - 14 (Middle School)
Josh Malvino - invitation signed.
Emily Lehr - invitation signed.
Finn Keenan - invitation signed.
Maya Wichman - invitation signed.
Nicholas Pena - invitation signed.
Rina Nishimura - invitation signed.
John Daigneault - invitation signed.
Alex Coutsouradis - invitation signed.
Aleia Rizzo - invitation signed.
Laura Takken - invitation signed.
What we're studying:
We are studying how things work and connect. We are also studying engineering and learning how Rube Goldberg designed his creations while working on making a machine that can pour cereal into a bowl.Our Team Leader's favorite quote:
Let’s practice Creative Criticism Why we think we should win:
We should win because are Rube Goldberg machine is well-built, has a good theme, as a team and kept coming up with new ideas not to mention it has a lot of humor in it. We also should win because we worked very hard on a Rube Goldberg machine and we put a lot of our time and effort into making it, we worked hard and really well together and have learned a lot together creatively.Suggestion for next year's challenge:
- Making waffles.
- Pouring syrup on a waffle.
- Feeding a goldfish.Favorite Rube Goldberg video:
Though 16 steps, Indiana Charms and the lost Leprechaun find the pot of gold. Cuckoo Birds, rolling boulders, rushing cars, falling crates, cyclones and a zip line all brings the Lucky Charms into the pot of gold.
Our Step List
1. Someone pushes Indiana Jones looking for gold;
2. Cuckoo Bird pushes the golf ball down ramp;
3. Golf ball pushes the baseball off cliff;
4. Baseball vibrates board setting off duck;
5. Duck goes down ramp, pulls string;
6. String pulls popsicle sticks releasing car;
7. Car pulls string triggering mouse trap;
8. Mouse trap propels Leprechaun into cereal box dominos;
9. Dominos trigger mouse trap;
10. Mouse trap completes electric circuit;
11. Electric circuit open clinoid;
12. Air goes through copper pipe popping cork;
13. Cork releases ball on pipe;
14. Balls hit trip line;
15. Leprechauns go down zip line and hits cereal box;
16. Gold (cereal) pours into bowl.
Our Close-ups: Photos
A maximum of 3 close-ups (scanned diagrams, photos). Images must be JPG or PNG, and less than 5 MB.
Our Close-ups: Task Completion
Our Machine Explaination and Walkthrough
Our Machine Run Videos