Put Money in a Piggy Bank
Online Division II - Ages 14 - 18 (High School)
Adam Gilbreath - invitation signed.
Adham Rayyes - invitation signed.
Colton Jackson - invitation signed.
Cayla Pongratz - invitation signed.
Cassidy Schenck - invitation signed.
Isabella Riveros Morales - invitation signed.
Madeline Smith - invitation signed.
What we're studying:
Physics, engineering, art, how to use tools, how to work together...basically, just a bunch of skills for life. Our Team Leader's favorite quote:
“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.”
- Richard FeynmanWhy we think we should win:
Technical, artistic, hilarious..our machine, and this year's team, had it all. Each person on our team brought unique talents that combined to create a whimsical and fun machine that we had an amazing time working on! Suggestion for next year's challenge:
Putt a golf ball into a hole. Favorite Rube Goldberg video:
Donald is a farm boy. He is dreaming of going to college someday to study engineering, so he is saving up his allowance money to help pay for school. To make his life easier, Donald tapped into his engineering skills and made "The Chore Machine" to help him get his chores done. Donald's chore machine helps him milk the cow, catch the barn mice, collect the chicken's eggs, feed the birds, straighten up the tools, water the flowers, feed the horse and, finally, "feed the pig".
Our Step List
1. Put money in silver bucket. (This money will start the device and when the chores are finished it will “feed the pig.”)
2. Weight of coins in bucket tips lever releasing the spider weight.
3. Spider weight falls pulling the plug out of the funnel holding the milk.
4. Milk falls into the yellow pail.
5. Weight of milk tips the lever releasing the mouse.
6. Mouse rolls down track into the mousetrap.
7. Mousetrap pulls a pin allowing the egg to drop.
8. Egg wobbles down tracks and falls into the yellow basket.
9. Weight of egg in basket causes the basket move down and tips over the box of bird seed.
10. Bird seed falls into the bird feeder weighing it down.
11. Bird feeder dropping causes bird to fly along the zip line to the bird feeder.
12. A string attached to the bird pulls over the hand rake.
13. The hand rake swings around and hits the trowel.
14. The trowel swings around and hits hammer.
15. The hammer swings around and pulls over the watering can.
16. The watering can tips and waters the flower.
17. Extra weight on flower pot tips the lever.
18. The tipped lever releases a weight that falls.
19. The falling weight pulls the tractor along the ground.
20. The Tractor drops the hay bale into horse feeding trough.
21. The hay bale tips a lever in the trough releasing the string holding the horse's leg.
22. The horse’s (spring loaded) back leg kicks and pulls a pin.
23. The pin releases the lever which tips over dropping the money into a funnel.
24. The money is funneled into the piggy bank.
Our Close-ups: Photos
A maximum of 3 close-ups (scanned diagrams, photos). Images must be JPG or PNG, and less than 5 MB.
Our Close-ups: Task Completion
Our Machine Explaination and Walkthrough
Our Machine Run Videos