Put Money in a Piggy Bank
Online Division I - Ages 11 - 14 (Middle School)
Madaline Galvin - invitation signed.
Rachel McKinley - invitation signed.
Brandon Frank - invitation signed.
Madalyn Irwin - invitation signed.
Sarah Call - invitation signed.
Taylor Garvin - invitation signed.
Patience Gummaelius - invitation signed.
Victoria Burkhart - invitation signed.
Chase Coleman - invitation signed.
What we're studying:
We studied problem solving and perseverance most of all these past few weeks! We also learned that dedicated teamwork makes the dream work!
Our Team Leader's favorite quote:
"Success is dependent on effort." ~ SophoclesWhy we think we should win:
This is our first entry ever! We think we should win because our machine has that Rube Goldberg Spark. Smiling is unavoidable when you watch the elements of the videos. It has a great theme, it's creative and comical. We think Rube would have gotten a chuckle out of it. Suggestion for next year's challenge:
open a window blind or curtain; compost a banana peel
Our machine was built with a Hawaiian vacation in mind. “Escape” by Rupert Holmes (a.k.a. the “Piña Colada” song) plays in the background. We start the machine dropping the wad of cash down the drain for this holiday getaway! Then the machine gets the suitcase to the airport, the plane takes off and the real fun begins. Our vacationer is elated by her zip line volcano tour of the island! It ends with a penny rolling into the piggy bank representing money being saved for her next dream vacation...a trip to France!
Our Step List
1. The team member drops a ball through the tube which hits a button.
2. The button causes a (stingray topped) hammer to spin.
3. The hammer hits a book.
4. The book falls on a spatula.
5. The spatula flips a book up.
6. The button on the car is released.
7. The car rolls forwards, hitting a mini suitcase.
8. The mini suitcase slides down a ramp, causing the string to pull a stand down.
9. The stand releases a ball from Newton’s cradle which makes the cradle do its thing. The last ball transfers its energy to a spool of string.
10. The spool of string moves the “beach ball.” 11. The ball rolls away from in front of a motion sensing robot (Cubelets disguised as a plane) to move forward.
12. The robot plane goes into the airport and pulls a string that releases cylinder pin.
13. The pin lets the mentos go into a soda volcano.
14. The volcano erupts.
15. The eruption hits the zipliner.
16. The zipliner zips down the line and hits a penny that is propped in tape on a ruler ramp.
17. The penny rolls down the ramp, into the French piggy bank!
Our Close-ups: Photos
A maximum of 3 close-ups (scanned diagrams, photos). Images must be JPG or PNG, and less than 5 MB.
Our Close-ups: Task Completion
Our Machine Explaination and Walkthrough
Our Machine Run Videos