Hammer A Nail
Online Division I - Ages 11 - 14 (Middle School)
What we're studying:
This year we are studying Physical Science; however, we just finished the unit on Simple Machines, which gave us great ideas for our project.Our Team Leader's favorite quote:
"Don't memorize, ANALYZE!"Why we think we should win:
We should win because our machine is really unique. It has a little bit of each of our personalities in it. One example is the tennis ball which signifies Sasha’s love of tennis. The colorful duck tape and the colorful train symbolizes that we are girls and that we like a pop of color. Our team name even signifies each of us - Sasha, Eunji, Rebecca, Jackie - SERJ! Also, we think that girls are always misjudged. We want to show that we are smart and that we CAN win this competition! It about time that girls show that they’re not all about makeup and princesses. We know that somewhere underneath all of that hair, is a really smart brain! GO SERJ!
Our Step List
Rube Goldberg Project ~ 10 Steps
1) Pour water onto a piece of toilet paper which is connected to a weight.
2) Then the toilet paper will get wet and break, causing the weight to fall onto a lever.
3) Next the stick connected to the lever will rise up, and hit a train.
4) After that the train will roll down train tracks and bump into a plane.
5) The plane will swing across and hit a ramp with a marble.
6) Soon the marble will roll down the ramp and crash into a domino.
7) The domino will fall onto another domino, causing a chain reaction which knocks down all the other dominoes.
8) Later, at the end of the domino trail, the last domino will fall behind a tennis ball on a ramp, causing the tennis ball to roll down the ramp.
9) At the bottom of the ramp, the tennis ball will hit a truck (that has a little piece of wood attached to the front) and the truck will roll down a little ramp.
10) Finally, after rolling down the ramp, the wood on the truck will bump into a hook (which is attached to a staple) and the hook will slip out from under the staple that will cause the weight to hammer in the nail.
Our Close-ups: Photos
Our Close-ups: Favorite Step
Our Close-ups: Task Completion
Our Machine Explaination and Walkthrough
Our Machine Run Videos