Open An Umbrella
St. Ansgar Science Department
Monday, February 22, 2016 Setup Time:
8:00 AM Contest Start Time:
Live Division II - Ages 14 - 18 (High School)
Mark Jenkins and Daniel Sarasio Meyer
What we're studying:
Physics and constructionOur Team Leader's favorite quote:
"If you ain't first, you're fast"
A racing themed Rube Goldberg machine that also pays tribute to one of the funniest racing movies ever made, Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby.
Our Step List
1. Mack pulls string to open garage door
2. Garage door opens flipping a lever to release a car on a track
3. Car triggers first switch, changes direction
4. The first yellow light switches on
5. Car falls into cup, shifting the weight on the pulley
6. Pulley pulls magnet up
7. The magnet hits the car on the ledge
7. Car rolls down ledge, hits first wrench
8. Wrench swings down, triggering second wrench, which triggers the third wrench
9. The third wrench hits a tube
10. The tube rotates causing a marble to roll
11. The marble hits a wooden domino causing a domino reaction with progressively bigger pieces of wood, which hits a track with a car on top and two cars under it.
12. The cars under the track roll down, one gets caught on a ledge, shifting the angle.
13. The car on top of the track rolls down into a lever releasing a marble
14. The marble rolls down the dropper, triggering the second switch
15. The marbles fall through the dropper, falling onto a wood track
16. The marbles go down the wooden track and through the tire at the bottom
17. The marbles bounce off a piece of wood in the tire, getting caught in a funnel
18. The marble then gets to the bottom of the funnel and hits a lever
19. The lever hits a second lever.
20. The second lever hits a mouse trap.
21. The mouse trap is triggered causing it to hit a weighted tire.
22. The tire is pushed from behind and starts to roll uphill
23. The tire hits another tire, which begins to roll uphill
24. The second tire hits a block of wood
25. The wood shifts, causing a car antenna to snap forward
26. The antenna hits a switch
27. The third light turns on
28. The switch triggers the hinged dominos
29. The hinged dominos fall, hitting a metal piece
30. The metal piece falls and hits a dowel
31. The dowel pushes up, releasing a marble
32. The marble pops out, rolling down a ramp
33. The marble rolls down the ramp and into a piece of PVC pipe
34. The marble hits a dowel causing a rotation of another dowel
35. That causes another dowel to rotate hitting a billiard ball.
36. The billiard ball rolls down a ramp and drops through a hole in the ramp
37. The ball drops through a hole onto a piece of wood
38. The wood is attached to a dowel which hits a trigger.
39. The trigger releases a spring causing the car to push forward.
40. The car hits the last switch turning on the green light.
41. As the car moves forward it releases the umbrella.
42. The car opens the umbrella.
Our Close-ups: Photos
Our Close-ups: Favorite Step
Our Close-ups: Task Completion
Our Machine Explaination and Walkthrough
Our Machine Run Videos