Open An Umbrella
Online Division I - Ages 11 - 14 (Middle School)
What we're studying:
PLTW Engineering Courses and Technology Education Our Team Leader's favorite quote:
Complacency is our worst enemy.Why we think we should win:
We made extra effort this year to take our viewers on a journey through the story of our criminal. To do this, we painted the backgrounds and foregrounds of each scene. We also created signs that tell what has happened in each scene. Suggestion for next year's challenge:
Launch an paper airplane.
Our machine's theme is a "Crime Spree". Our criminal does a Jail Break, Robs a Bank, commits murder in a mansion and ends up dead in the graveyard. Each of these 4 crimes are represented by the 4 stations you will see in the videos. With such a dark theme, we chose to adjust our lighting each of the machine runs to represent the theme better. We had teams of students work on each station as well as a paint team. The paint team took care of all of our background and set work. We met for 3-4 hours per week from the first week of November until the deadline of April 1st. We estimate that 680 student-hours were used to complete all of the requirements. We hope you enjoy!
Our Step List
1. Bicycle Wheels Rotates and pulls string forward.
2. String releases ping pong ball. Ball rolls down ramp and through air vent into cup.
3. Cup falls and pulls trigger stick.
4. Stick releases golf ball to roll down ramp and teeter totter. Ball hits weight.
5. Weight falls off teeter totter which releases Thomas the train.
6. Train rolls forward down tracks into Plexiglas door.
7. Door swings and hits tape measure.
8. Tape measure spring pulls tape back releasing the tetherball step
9. Tetherball swings around hit hits tennis ball.
10. Tennis ball rolls down ramp and hits the power switch on a power strip.
11. The fan is powered on by electricity. It blows air into a cardboard flap.
12. Flap moves forward pulling on a string trigger.
13. Stringer trigger releases a series of gears/axles which roll down several ramps but uphill at the same time.
14. Gear lands on a lever which triggers a golf ball
15. Golf ball rolls into yellow lever.
16. Yellow lever rotates and sets off a series of dominoes.
17. Dominoes fall and pull a trigger.
18. Trigger releases marbles through a roller coaster into a cup.
19. Cup pulls string and releases the ball which was under a cup.
20. Ball rolls down ramp and hits a wooden dowel.
21. Dowel pushes large marble.
22. Marble rolls through pink tunnel.
23. Yogurt cup falls and pulls trigger releasing a golf ball down pink ramp.
24. Ball sets off two vertical levers which drop a golf ball.
25. Golf ball sets off mouse trap.
26. Mouse trap pulls string/pencil and releases toilet seat to release marble.
27. Marble rolls through toilet seat hole an drops on to car track and into a lever.
28. Lever spings and sets off a series of bolts.
29. Bolts roll down ramp into marble.
30. Marble drops on to mouse trap.
31. Mouse trap springs and pulls a trigger stick.
R.I.P. in the Graveyard
32. Trigger stick releases swinging black tube.
33. Black tube swings and knocks a water pitcher off table.
34. Pitcher falls and pulls string which pulls a lever which pulls a string trigger.
35. Coffin opens up and pulls trigger.
36. Trigger releases softball to roll down ramp.
37. Softball hits a weight and it falls off shelf.
38. Weight pulls string of the catapult which hits trigger of mousetrap.
39. Mousetrap releases and pulls string which is attached to a hose clamp.
40. Hose clamp presses against the switch of the umbrella. Umbrella spring opens it up!!
Our Close-ups: Photos
Our Close-ups: Favorite Step
Our Close-ups: Task Completion
Our Machine Explaination and Walkthrough
Our Machine Run Videos