Open An Umbrella
Online Division I - Ages 11 - 14 (Middle School)
What we're studying:
We're studying teamwork, woodworking, energy, motion, force and problem solving.Our Team Leader's favorite quote:
NO GLITTER!Why we think we should win:
We have put a lot of hard work into the machine and made progress learning about how energy is transferred between objects. Suggestion for next year's challenge:
Flip a pancake, assemble a tool, shoot a basket, lift a flag.
A machine that travels through the whistling winds and flurries of nature to EXPAND our horizons and keep us dry.
Our Step List
1. Gate opens and releases marbles down ramp.
2. Marbles roll down next ramp, falling into holes, last marble falls through onto lever.
3. Lever pivots up, pushing the next marble down a ramp.
4. Marble rolls down ramp and hits mouse trap.
5. Mouse trap goes off and pulls string, opening a gate.
6. Car rolls down ramp and hits lever.
7. Series of 3 levers pivot, hitting one another, falling onto a power strip and turning it on.
8. Power strip turns on hair dryer that blows balls through a tube.
9. Balls fall into a cup that a falls and pulls a wheel and axle.
10. Wheel & axle turns, pulling a string that opens a gate releasing a ball.
11. Ball rolls down ramp, triggering a mouse trap.
12. Mouse trap activates and pulls a string that pulls a dowel through a hole.
13. Hammer falls when dowel is pulled, and hits a dowel lever.
14. Dowel lever pushes umbrella button, opening umbrella.
Our Close-ups: Photos
Our Close-ups: Favorite Step
Our Close-ups: Task Completion
Our Machine Explaination and Walkthrough
Our Machine Run Videos