Pour A Bowl of Cereal
St. Ansgar High School
Friday, March 02, 2018 Setup Time:
8:00 AM Contest Start Time:
Live Division II - Ages 14 - 18 (High School)
Ryan Howe - invitation signed.
Sophie Wold - invitation signed.
Addy Carlson - invitation signed.
Sophie Merten - invitation signed.
Joel Carlson - invitation signed.
Abby Hansen - invitation signed.
Justin Horgen - invitation signed.
Sarah Phelps - invitation signed.
Chloe levan - invitation signed.
What we're studying:
In the Saint Ansgar physics class, we are studying motion and energy. This includes the transfer and use of energy.Our Team Leader's favorite quote:
Get It Back!Why we think we should win:
The Saint Ansgar Rube Goldberg team thinks they should win because of the time they have put into it. They have been meeting every Thursday and Saturday morning since the beginning of November. They have also been working on there own time after school. The number of hours put into this machine is uncountable.Suggestion for next year's challenge:
The task for next years Rube Goldberg should be to take a picture with any kind of camera.Favorite Rube Goldberg video:
Our machine is based on the idea of how cereal is made from start to finish. The first step to creating cereal is harvesting the oats. Many other grains are used to make cereal. We are focusing on oats because we are being sponsored by Grain Millers. From harvest, they are processed to get the raw grain. This happens at Grain Millers. Grain Millers processes and distributes the grain. Grain Millers makes its own oatmeal that is sold in stores nationwide. Oats are distributed to companies to make what they want. Some companies make cereal. The Cereal is then distributed to stores and sold by the thousands. Our machine is based on this process. The top-level is about the farming and harvesting. The middle level is about Grain Millers. The bottom level is about families buying and eating the cereal.
Our Step List
1. Golf ball hits toy combine.
2. Toy combine hits large marble
3. Large marble rolls down ramp and knocks weight down.
4. Weights pull lever down.
5. Lever being pulled down releases oats.
6. Oats fall into cup on balance
7. Weight from oats tips balance
8. Weight on other side of balance releases domino train
9. Domino train hits marble on marble maze.
10. Marble rolls down, releases golf ball
11. Golf ball turns on lights
12.Marble continues to roll, hits swinging marbles
13. Swinging marbles hit tape roll.
14. Tape roll hits cup
15. Cup falls, releasing swinging weight.
16. Swinging weight hits toy car
17. Toy car rolls down ramp, hits block
18. Block causes ramp to fall, releasing golf ball.
19. Golf ball rolls, hits pivot
20. Pivot swings, hits golf ball
21. Golf ball rolls, hits pivot
22. Pivot swings, hits car
23. Car goes down ramp, hits tape ball
24. Tape ball rolls, tips cup full of marbles over
25. Marbles roll down ramp and enter funnel
26. Marbles hit spoon wheel
27. Spoon wheel spins and knocks ping pong ball down ramp.
28. Ping pong ball hits 5 toy soldiers + 1 domino.
29. Domino sets off mouse trap
30. Mouse trap pulls string out from car under ramp
31. Car slides down ramp, rotates knex pivot
32. Knex pivot hits second car down ramp.
33. Second car hits domino train
34. Domino train splits and hits two mouse traps.
35. 1st mouse trap pulls string, releasing ping pong ball.
36. 2nd mouse trap pulls flap, turning on knex motor.
37. Ping pong ball rolls down ramp into knex wheel.
38. Knex wheel lifts ping pong ball up.
39. Ping pong ball hits wooden ball, sending it down ramp.
40. Wooden ball knocks weight off.
41. Weight swinging pours cereal into a bowl.
Our Close-ups: Photos
A maximum of 3 close-ups (scanned diagrams, photos). Images must be JPG or PNG, and less than 5 MB.
Our Close-ups: Task Completion
Our Machine Explaination and Walkthrough
Our Machine Run Videos