Apply A BAND-AID®
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
Friday, March 10, 2017 Setup Time:
8:30 AM Contest Start Time:
Live Division II - Ages 14 - 18 (High School)
What we're studying:
Mechanical energy transfers of kinetic and potential energy. Our Team Leader's favorite quote:
"Space, the Final Frontier"Why we think we should win:
We have worked extremely hard this year, with the majority of our members being seniors. Our coach is pregnant, and we want to make her proud. Suggestion for next year's challenge:
Pop a balloonFavorite Rube Goldberg video:
Our machine depicts the journey of an astronaut through space, as he crash lands on a planet after an star explodes, causing a rip in space time. He travels across three planets to collect items to fix his rocket, and seal the rip in space time.
Our Step List
1. Balloon is popped, releasing weight.
2. Weight is dropped down a tube.
3. Weight triggers lever.
4. Lever hits planet.
5. Planet pulls stick out of ramp, releasing a marble.
6. Marble rolls down two ramps, and hits wheel of rover.
7. Rover rolls down ramp, and hits hinge of volcano.
8. Marbles fall into pulley in volcano.
9. Pulley pulls cardboard out of ramp, releasing marble.
10. Marble rolls down ramp, hitting powerlines.
11. Powerlines fall releasing rover number two.
12. Rover rolls down ramp into tree, triggering a pulley.
13. Pulley releases marble.
14. Marble rolls down ramp along tree, knocking over small tree.
15. Tree falling pulls cardboard, releasing boulder.
16. Boulder rolls into the cup of a pulley.
17. Pulley pulls stick from under lever.
18. Lever falls, rotating the water planet.
19. The ramp on the water planet hits the car.
20. The car rolls down a ramp, which pulls the cardboard that is holding back the hammer.
21. The hammer swings, and hits the ball through the tube.
22. The ball rolls down the tube and hits the car off of the platform.
23. The car pulls another car off of the ledge, which acts as a pulley, lifting the rocket.
24. The movement of the rocket dislodges the astronaut, causing it to fall down the zip line to apply the band aid to the rip in space time.
Our Close-ups: Photos
Our Close-ups: Favorite Step
Our Close-ups: Task Completion
Our Machine Explaination and Walkthrough
Our Machine Run Videos