Put Money in a Piggy Bank
San Bernardino County Rube Goldberg Contest (Middle School Division)
Wednesday, February 13, 2019 Setup Time:
8:00 AM Contest Start Time:
Live Division I - Ages 11 - 14 (Middle School)
Cavar Rios - invitation signed.
Nevaeh Lopez - invitation signed.
Jaslene Lopez - invitation signed.
Lela Cochran - invitation signed.
Daisy Sandoval - invitation signed.
Mya Lopez Chavez - invitation signed.
Isa Gaines - invitation signed.
Devin Marrufo - invitation sent
Michelle Herrera - invitation signed.
Jaila Jones - invitation signed.
Angela Perez - invitation signed.
Zoey Lopez - invitation signed.
What we're studying:
We are studying 3D design as a solution for problems and for prototyping inventions. We love to think of ways we can use our design software to create new objects to add to our machine that help us solve engineering problems. We learn the academic and functional components of 3D design, including sketching out blueprints to show our work. We are also learning some of the foundations of physical computing, through our use of block coding and electronics connected to various robots and motors.Our Team Leader's favorite quote:
Get to work!Why we think we should win:
We should win because our machine is full of our fun and creative ideas. We hope they make people laugh and smile! Working on our machine has brought us all close together as a team- we feel like winners already!Suggestion for next year's challenge:
Next year, it would be fun to create a Rube Goldberg Machine that can fold a T-shirt!Favorite Rube Goldberg video:
Hello my piglets and welcome to Piglandia- where the pigs are in a hot race for the money! In today's coarse, the pigs will face some crazy challenges where anything can go oinky! First, the pigs will need to go through the muddy slide. Next let's hope they don't let the barrel of food get them, or else they will fall behind and let the rest of the pigs get past. Afterward, they are going to go through a delightful tunnel of tickles and come out to a rainbow tunnel into the dangerous color cups. I know that sounds fun, but it's not always enjoyable! Be careful, pigs, for the zig zag tunnel- don't jump out! And watch out for the wrecking pig- so be smart. Oh no! Even Pigly the robot got attracted to the money when he saw the light! Hopefully he didn't give someone a head start! Make sure to watch out for the bulldozer, duck fast! Finally, pigs, swing and spin your way back down again and see if you can make it into the piggy bank to fly on outta here with your treasures!!
Our Step List
To begin: Push golf ball down inclined plane.
1. Golf ball will fall into cup pulley system, releasing marble into funnel. Ball transfers energy to marble.
2. Marble travels down inclined plane system and pushes weights off platform. Marble transfers energy to weights.
3. Weights fall and pull string of second set of weights down to ground. Weights transfer energy to weights.
4. Second set of weights pull giant pig lever forward. Weights transfer energy to giant pig lever.
5. Pig moving forward pulls hidden string attached to craft stick, pulling it away from plastic square dollar bill, releasing it down inclined plane of foam coins. Giant lever pig transfers energy to plastic square.
6. Plastic square hits wooden block, which turns on power button of power strip. Plastic square transfers energy to power strip.
7. Power strip “on” gives power to windshield wiper motor which winds up string. Power strip/electricity transfers energy to motor/string.
8. String winds up and pulls cap off Pigly the robot, triggering his light sensor. String transfers energy to robot.
9. Robot moves forward pulling string/platform. Robot transfers energy to string/platform, releasing clear tube to drop down through cardboard tube. Robot transfers energy to clear tube.
10. Clear tube dropping down releases wrecking ball pig (Piggy Cyrus) to swing toward small cardboard box. Clear tube transfers energy to wrecking ball pig.
11. Flying pig wrecking ball hits small cardboard pig box, knocking it and its contents over. Wrecking ball transfers energy to cardboard box.
12. A roll of quarters within cardboard box travel down inclined plane system and fall into pulley, releasing golf ball down inclined plan. Quarters transfer energy to golf ball.
13. Golf ball lands in cup of golf balls, releasing craft stick holding back lugnuts to slide down inclined plane. Golf ball transfers energy to lugnuts.
14. Lugnuts fall into cup attached to large lever system, which swings a small hammer pig into golf ball pig. Lugnuts transfer energy to golf ball pig.
15. Golf ball pig travels down inclined plane hitting lever, transferring energy to heavy marble. Golf ball pig transfers energy to heavy marble.
16. Heavy marble travels down inclined plane system and lands on wheel and axle gear pig, which releases craft stick from quarters. Heavy marble transfers energy to coins.
Coins travel down inclined plane system, which includes coin sorter, and ultimately into the flying piggy bank, completing our machine!
Our Close-ups: Photos
A maximum of 3 close-ups (scanned diagrams, photos). Images must be JPG or PNG, and less than 5 MB.
Our Close-ups: Task Completion
Our Machine Explaination and Walkthrough
Our Machine Run Videos