Open An Umbrella
Online Division I - Ages 11 - 14 (Middle School)
What we're studying:
Algebra 1, online writing course, medieval times, 4H. Our Team Leader's favorite quote:
"Oh!, It almost worked."Why we think we should win:
Because we have done our best on this machine.Suggestion for next year's challenge:
Have the machine write a word.Favorite Rube Goldberg video:
A machine that opens a umbrella in a toy store.
Our Step List
1. We put a marble on a run
2. The marble hits a nut at the end of the run
3. The nut slides down a zip-line hitting another marble.
4. That marble then rolls down a run hitting a plank at the end.
5. The plank falls over on a wheel and axle.
6. The wheel and axle rolls off of a ledge pulling open a gate.
7. When the gate opens a marble rolls down a run hitting a weight at the end.
8. The weight falls off of a ledge opening the drawbridge on the castle.
9. When the drawbridge opens a marble rolls down a run hitting another marble.
10. That marble rolls down a series of chutes falling into a bucket on a lever.
11. When the marble falls into the bucket it opens another gate letting a marble through.
12. That marble runs into a series of dominoes triggering another lever.
13. Which sends a train down a ramp running into a car attached to a string at the end.
14. The car pulls on the string that is wrapped around the button on the umbrella.
15. The latch button gets pulled in and releases the umbrella.
Our Close-ups: Photos
Our Close-ups: Favorite Step
Our Close-ups: Task Completion
Our Machine Explaination and Walkthrough
Our Machine Run Videos