Inflate A Balloon and Pop It!
Online Division I - Ages 11 - 14 (Middle School)
What we're studying:
We just finished studying simple machines!Our Team Leader's favorite quote:
This one comes from Hannah Adams: The race is not always won by the swiftest but by those who keep on running.Why we think we should win:
Our hearts, skill, and creativity are all working together. And with God, all things are possible.Suggestion for next year's challenge:
Sponsorship for schools with small budgets.Favorite Rube Goldberg video:
"Travel My Country, America"
Our Step List
1. A marble rolls down a tube and hits a pool ball.
2. The pool ball rolls down a chute and drops into a bowl on our pulley system.
3. The bowl drops down and sends a board up.
4. The board comes up and knocks a VHS movie case.
5. The VHS movie case knocks over a series of other cases.
6. The last case hits a pole on our wheel and axle system.
7. The pole comes up and hits 2 separate spheres, splitting our machine into 2 parts.
8. One of the spheres, a marble, slides down a ramp and hits another marble.
9. The second marble slides down a chute and hits a switch.
10. The switch turns an air compressor on.
11. The air compressor blows air into a balloon until it inflates and pops.
12. The other sphere, a golf ball, slides down a ramp, changes direction, then slides down another ramp and hits another golf ball.
13. The second golf ball jumps up onto another ramp and hits a basketball.
14. The basketball rolls down a ramp and hits a book.
15. The book falls onto a radio remote control.
16. The radio remote control sends a signal to a train and starts the train on its track.
17. The train goes around the track and hits a weight.
18. The weight falls onto a button which turns on an air compressor.
19. The air compressor blows air into a second balloon until it inflates and pops.
Our Close-ups: Photos
Our Close-ups: Favorite Step
Our Close-ups: Task Completion
Our Machine Explaination and Walkthrough
Our Machine Run Videos