Pour A Bowl of Cereal
St. Ansgar High School
Friday, March 02, 2018 Setup Time:
8:00 AM Contest Start Time:
Live Division II - Ages 14 - 18 (High School)
Jamie Steinman - invitation signed.
Dusti Bratrud - invitation signed.
Nathan Hannemann - invitation signed.
Sarah Pederson - invitation signed.
Paige Oleson - invitation signed.
Paige DeArmoun - invitation signed.
Taylor Jorgensen - invitation signed.
Mackenzi Duvall - invitation signed.
Morgan Johnson - invitation signed.
Ivy Rollene - invitation signed.
Our machine story:
Nathan wakes up and goes to get some cereal from his cupboard for all of us after our sleepover. He's still groggy from his sleep, and he slips and knocks over the shelf. As the cereal boxes domino down, it scares a mouse from the cupboard. Nathan seems to have lots of problems with little critters in his house, as he has mothballs to protect everything in his cupboards. The mouse runs to the bottom shelf, and it knocks down one of the mothballs. The mothball rolls right into the sink, and down the drain. The mothball then startles a resting mouse, and causes it to scurry. The mouse runs directly into a clog, which releases trapped food back into the fast moving stream of water through the pipes. As it travels through the stream, it bumps a small stone further down into the pipe system, which bursts through a system of barricades and barrels right into another mothball. The momentum of the mothball causes not one, but two other mothballs to fall deeper into the sewer. The final mothball triggers the switch for the garbage disposal, rolling more pieces of food into an patiently waiting mouse trap, waiting for a mouse to come by. The mouse trap activates and causes another clog to shoot up the drain, through the garbage disposal and back into the kitchen. The clog runs into Nathan's superior domino collection, and hits his younger sister's Tinker Toys on the table. The Tinker Toys roll and knock over a block holding down Nathan's mom's clothesline for hanging laundry. The broken laundry string falls, causing the boxes of cereal and milk to pour into the bowl.
Our Step List
1. Domino effect on small cereal boxes
2. Last cereal box lands on seesaw holding marble, sending marble down broken "shelf"
3. Marble circles down funnel
4. Marble runs down track
5. Marble rolls down spiral
6. Marble hits car with mouse on it
7. Car rolls down track and hits button, launching car into basket, triggering new car to shoot down track
8. Car hits blue cone, triggering the seesaw to flip and send marble down track
9. Marble hits dominoes
10. Dominos hit ball on track
11. Ball hits block, pulling the string out from under the second ball and rolls down hitting block, pulling out string from under marble causing it to rolls down track
12. Marble hits circular domino axis
13. Axis hits dominos
14. End domino triggers mouse trap
15. Mouse trap pulls away cross under blue cone
16. Blue cone pulled up triggers car to come down
17. Car shoots around yellow track
18. Car hits dominos
19. End domino hits tinker toy 1
20. Tinker toy 1 rolls and hits tinker toy 2
21. Tinker toy 2 hits block
22. Block, which is attached to pulley, is knocked into Jenga box
23. The pulley is activated, pulling on the strings attached to cereal boxes
24. Cereal boxes get tilted up
25. Cereal and milk get poured into bowl
Our Close-ups: Photos
A maximum of 3 close-ups (scanned diagrams, photos). Images must be JPG or PNG, and less than 5 MB.
Our Close-ups: Task Completion
Our Machine Explaination and Walkthrough
Our Machine Run Videos