Pour A Bowl of Cereal
Lakeside Middle School
Friday, March 16, 2018 Setup Time:
9:00 AM Contest Start Time:
Live Division I - Ages 11 - 14 (Middle School)
Brianna Dannemiller - invitation signed.
Soham Bhatnagar - invitation signed.
Gabby Payne - invitation signed.
Natalie Menor - invitation signed.
Max Heinrich - invitation signed.
Raul Sanchez - invitation signed.
Wilnica Destine - invitation signed.
Essence Toone - invitation signed.
Emily Morales - invitation signed.
Alisyn Knox Silver - invitation signed.
What we're studying:
In STEM club we are studying simple machines. Our Team Leader's favorite quote:
“No one can whistle a symphony. It takes a whole orchestra to play it.” – H.E. LuccockWhy we think we should win:
The Voyagers are not just a team- we're a family. Over months of hard work and dedication, we have bonded into an unbreakable force to be reckoned with. We have put in more time and effort than can be quantified for months on end, and along the way, new friendships were created. Suggestion for next year's challenge:
A good idea for next year's challenge is to draw a picture.
Follow a train of marbles all around the world on a quest to complete the ultimate goal: pouring a bowl of cereal in a house in the heart of New York City. Travel through China, England, the Niagara Falls, and other places.
Our Step List
1. Marble is released into "Niagara Falls" falls through Jenga blocks and through funnel.
2. Marble hits platform of lever.
3. When the marble hits the platform it releases the wind-up car
4. Car hits next platform (Mt. Everest), knocking 2nd car loose.
5. Car knocks into a large marble, which runs into a funnel.
6. Marble falls from funnel and hits paper, releasing ping-pong ball
7. The ping-pong ball hits the marble at the end of the Great Wall.
8. The marble goes down a half-pipe, and hits duct tape - releasing a golf ball.
9. The golf ball goes down the hedge, and goes onto the wood plank; the weight of it counter-acts the weight of the held-back "wrecking ball", releasing it.
10. The "wrecking ball" swings forward and hits five buildings down.
11. The buildings hit a bookcase with dominoes inside, causing a chain reaction, knocking down domino one at a time
12. Final domino falls through opening, dislodging a marble.
13. The marble goes down a half-pipe and into a cup waiting at the end.
14. The cup is pushed off of the half-pipe into the air. The cereal is attached to a string that is on the cup, so the cereal box tips and is poured!
Our Close-ups: Photos
A maximum of 3 close-ups (scanned diagrams, photos). Images must be JPG or PNG, and less than 5 MB.
Our Close-ups: Task Completion
Our Machine Explaination and Walkthrough
Our Machine Run Videos