Open An Umbrella
Online Division I - Ages 11 - 14 (Middle School)
What we're studying:
Engineering practicesSuggestion for next year's challenge:
It's daylight savings time, and the Rube Goldberg machine needs to move the clock forward (or backwards) by one hour.
Trapped in a cage in the highest tower of the k'nex castle, a little silver ball is freed by the hand of the sixth (grader). In his attempt to escape the evil clutches of the dragon lord (Alfredo - the classroom monitor lizard), the little silver ball spins down the red funnel and drops into a long dark slide. What he doesn't realize, is that he will soon be flung through the air. At the end of the castle slide, the little silver ball is launched off of the exit ramp and is saved by bouncing off of a yellow tent top in the castle square. This, however, throws the little silver ball into a plastic trap waiting for him. So ends the escape of the little silver ball. Because the little silver ball was unsuccessful in his escape, his capture set off another set of unfortunate (depending on whose side you are on) events. When little silver ball was captured, the trap he was caught in bumped into a line of domino guards. They had been standing guard for so long, that their legs had frozen straight, and the force of the initial bump by the trap caused them all to fall into one another. The last domino standing guard fell into a colorful sphere meant to decorate the castle grounds. This was not set up properly though, as the artist had not finished his installation. The colorful ball found its way down a local ramp that lead to to an elevator that brings supplies to a nearby cliff top. The colorful ball fell into the open elevator shaft, causing the second elevator to rise towards the cliff top. Because no one was anticipating a supply run to the cliff side, workers had not removed their walkways, and the elevator bumped into one that was hanging off of the cliff. This raised the walkway into the second platoon of triomino guards, which proceeded to fall into one another and crash into the boulder at the end of the cliff. This was unfortunate, as the boulder was the last of a series of large boulders to fall in recent landslides, and caused the dragon lord's umbrella shade to open in his vacation spot. Unknown to anyone but the dragon lord, the opening of the vacation umbrella was a secret signal, and meant the start of a new war.
Our Step List
1. Pointer finger (by human) tips basket over with marble.
2. Marble spins in funnel.
3. Marble exits funnel and travels down ramp.
4. Marble launches off of jump ramp.
5. Marble lands on balloon bounce pad.
6. Marble bounces into clear plastic container.
7. Container tips over into dominoes.
8. Dominoes fall along table.
9. Last domino falls onto a bouncy ball, causing ball to travel down foam ramp.
10. Bouncy ball falls off ramp into bucket/pulley system.
11. Bucket drops and causes plastic ball to rise.
12. Plastic ball rises and knocks into popsicle stick taped to table.
13. Popsicle stick raises and tips over triominoes.
14. Triominoes knock into hexagons, which in turn bump into pool ball.
15. Pool ball travels down ramp into three other resting pool balls.
16. Last pool ball bumps into umbrella button, causing umbrella to open.
Our Close-ups: Photos
Our Close-ups: Favorite Step
Our Close-ups: Task Completion
Our Machine Explaination and Walkthrough
Our Machine Run Videos