Apply A BAND-AID®
Black & Veatch
Saturday, March 04, 2017 Setup Time:
7:00 AM Contest Start Time:
Live Division I - Ages 11 - 14 (Middle School)
What we're studying:
We are a mix of 6th and 8th grade students at Mill Creek Middle School. We are all students in Engineering Technology. In 6th grade we study aviation and flight. In 8th grade, we study construction, architecture and design. These types of engineering concepts have helped us to design our machine. Our Team Leader's favorite quote:
"Scientists dream about doing great things. Engineers do them." - James A Michener
"DFTBA - Don't forget to be awesome!" - John GreenWhy we think we should win:
Our project has included different objects that are being used in a new way other than their original purpose. We have recycled items that would otherwise be in a landfill. We are creative. Suggestion for next year's challenge:
Paint a smiley face
Unwrap a piece of candy
Flip a water bottle
Launch a projectile at a target
Turn on a light
Launch a ping pong ball
Throw a paper airplane
Open a door
Raise a flagFavorite Rube Goldberg video:
A Plethora of Playthings is a scientific mixture of playthings and industrial pieces. It consists of many household items, simple machines and even a motor; ranging from a rocket made out of K'Nex to school desks to a paper marble run.
Our Step List
Rube Goldberg Contest
Mill Creek Middle School
March 4, 2017
A Plethora of Playthings Step List
1. Person lefts the marble release wand.
2. Marbles roll down the track into the bucket at the bottom of the pulley.
3. Pulley releases the ping pong ball into the bounce track.
4. Ball knocks over the dominoes.
5. Dominoes knock over the stick display.
6. Sticks release a pencil which knocks over ascending domino chain.
7. Chain knocks over hammer.
8. Hammer hits the Mighty Bean Launcher, launching the steel marble onto the track.
9. Steel marble falls onto a gangway.
10. When the ball comes to a rest, it completes an electrical circuit.
11. An electrically powered wheel and axel knocks the golf ball down a tube.
12. The golf ball hits a switch, triggering a car rolling down a track.
13. The car hits a stick, causing a mahogany slab to fall.
14. The mahogany slab pulls a string out of the coin dispensing dinosaur, Tyrone.
15. The coin falls and lands on a track, striking a marble.
16. Marble rolls down looping track.
17. Marble strikes the handle of a pair of pliers, acting as a double lever simple machine.
18. The pliers release a game piece.
19. Game piece activates pulley system, dropping paddle onto metal bar.
20. The metal bar launches the nerf gun projectile.
21. The projectile strikes a large lever on an axel, causing it to lop-side one way.
22. The lever is attached to a string, which is connected a stick within a tube.
23. A marble falls within the tube.
24. The marble strikes a switch, turning on a motor.
25. The marble continues rolling inside the tube.
26. The marble strikes a second class lever that pulls a string.
27. A marble falls within a second tube.
28. The marble strikes a button, launching a car down a track.
29. The car strikes a wheel and axel.
30. The wheel and axel pulls a string.
31. The string releases a stick from the track.
32. The car rolls down the track into the running motor.
33. The motor propels the car over the rocket.
34. The car travels on track, coming to rest inside a box.
35. The box falls, pulling a marble on a string.
36. A string pulls out a pencil from the wheel.
37. The wheel spins, applying the band-aid to the finger.
Our Close-ups: Photos
Our Close-ups: Favorite Step
Our Close-ups: Task Completion
Our Machine Explaination and Walkthrough
Our Machine Run Videos