Erase A Chalkboard
Online Division I - Ages 11 - 14 (Middle School)
What we're studying:
As homeschoolers, we are studying a variety of subjects separate from each other, but when we began constructing our machine, we were all taking a physics class.Our Team Leader's favorite quote:
"Life is trying things to see if they work." - Ray BradburyWhy we think we should win:
We think we should win because our machine is made almost entirely of previously used materials. With the exception of some screws and brackets, we purchased nothing for our Machine.Suggestion for next year's challenge:
Making a cup of teaFavorite Rube Goldberg video:
Thanks for checking out our Rube Goldberg team page! We had so much fun working on our first Machine. We started in October, meeting two to three times per month. We learned a lot about physics but even more about thinking outside the box, working as a team and perseverance. A special thanks to Alan (Otto's dad) for keeping the wood stove burning with a smile despite the fact that we were breaking all of your tools.
Our Step List
1. A ball is released by a team member onto a ramp.
2. The ball rolls down a chute and lands on a shovel where it rolls into a funnel.
3. The ball falls through the funnel onto a ramp.
4. The ball rolls down the ramp where it knocks into a cue ball.
5. The cue ball hits a weight. The weight falls and releases an attached wedge sitting on a rake.
6. A ball is released when the wedge falls, and it rolls down the rake ramp and falls onto another ramp.
7. The ball rolls down the ramp and falls into a tin can scale.
8. The weight raises the tin can on the other side of the scale.
9. The scale lifts a clamp on a “water” wheel, putting the wheel in motion.
10. Attached to the other side of the wheel is a string and wedge. The motion of the wheel releases that wedge which is holding a ball in place on a bumper ramp.
11. The ball rolls down the bumper ramp to begin a domino effect with decks of cards.
12. The cards fall hitting a hammer.
13. The hammer hits a ball, which rolls down a ramp striking a second hammer, which sets a second ball down a ramp. That ball strikes a third hammer which sets into motion one more ball.
14. That ball rolls down a ramp and hits a clothes pin, which is holding a string attached to a pulley.
15. The clothes pin releases the string, and the pulley travels along a zip line to the other side of the Machine.
16. The pulley strikes another clothes pin, which is holding a sting attached to a washer. That washer is keeping a marble from rolling down a ramp.
17. The clothes pin releases the string and washer, sending the marble down the ramp.
18. The marble falls into a tin can on a lever.
19. The lever is raised, releasing a cue ball from underneath a tin can on the other side of the lever.
20. The cue ball rolls down a ramp and hits a steel ball, sending the ball into a tin can at the end of a lever.
21. The lever descends, pulling the rope attached to two pulleys and a gold brick eraser, thereby erasing a chalkboard.
Our Close-ups: Photos
Our Close-ups: Favorite Step
Our Close-ups: Task Completion
Our Machine Explaination and Walkthrough
Our Machine Run Videos