Pour A Bowl of Cereal
Wisconsin Rube Goldberg Contest
Friday, March 09, 2018 Setup Time:
7:30 AM Contest Start Time:
Live Division II - Ages 14 - 18 (High School)
ashley Lawler - invitation opened.
Allison Murray - invitation opened.
Emily Wentorf - invitation signed.
ashley Lawler - invitation signed.
Allison Murray - invitation signed.
Meghan Flynn - invitation signed.
Molly O\'Brien - invitation signed.
Emily Bustillos - invitation signed.
Caitlin Cretton - invitation signed.
Lukas Tenuta - invitation signed.
What we're studying:
Advanced Topics in Physical Science (Organic Chemistry and Advanced Physics)Our Team Leader's favorite quote:
"Practice how you are going to play" -Mr. Frank Ross MilesWhy we think we should win:
We prefer to use everyday materials for construction of our machine. Our machine is built at the end of a 3rd floor hallway using basic tools.Suggestion for next year's challenge:
Open a door
Our Rube's task is to pour a bowl of cereal. We decided to go with the theme of Dr Seuss in honor of his birthday that was March 2nd, one week prior to competition day. Dr Seuss is having a dream about all of his previous stories and he wakes up in the morning to have a bowl of cereal.
Our Step List
1. A ball is dropped into a seesaw
2. Seesaw lifts wood plank
3. Wood plank releases bed
4. Bed drops pivot
5. Pivot releases Dr. Seuss down wire
6. Dr. Seuss picks up popsicle stick
7. Popsicle stick drops ball down PVC pipes and ramp
8. Ball hits pivot
9. Pivot hits wood piece with weights
10. Wood piece with weights pulls orange stick out
11. Triangle drops weight, opening valve
12. The water trickles down the garden hose filling the cup
13. Another cup on the opposite end of string lifts up
14. The ball falls down the ramp and hits a pivot
15. The first pivot hits the second pivot
16. The second pivot hits the ball that goes down the tube
17. The ball exits the tube and hits the dominoes.
18. The final domino pulls the string on the trunk.
19. The trunk drops the treetop to pop the balloon.
20. The balloon drops a ball into the green cup.
21. The green cup pulls the yellow block off the magnet.
22. The yellow block pushes the pan.
23. The pan hits the blue clothespin to release the clover.
24. The clover’s magnet moves the popsicle stick.
25. The ball rolls down between the glass panes. The ball rolls into the PVC pipe triggering the Gaussian Gun.
26. The last ball hits a pivoting block.
27. Block pushes another ball into another Gaussian Gun.
28. The last ball hits a wooden plank that turns the page of the book.
29. When the page turns, a ball is released and rolls down the houses.
30. The ball drops onto the switch to turn of the electromagnet, opening the box.
31. The box, attached by strings to a pitchfork, the pitchfork pushes out the weights
32. The last weight pulls out the foot releasing the ball down the ramp and tube
33. The ball exits the tube onto a seesaw releasing the string
34. The string dropping drops down the cardboard holding the pendulum ball
35. The pendulum ball his and the last one goes out
36. The last pendulum ball hits a barring ball that travels through the house and levels
37. The final level has a Gaussian gun on it to hit the button on the train
38. The train goes around the track to knock over the trees
39. The last tree sets off a mouse trap
40. The trap pulls a string to rotate the turn table
41. The turn table has a fish bowl that hits out the wood holding up the mallet
42. The mallet swings down to hit the cans that hit the ball into the hole
43. The ball dropping pulls a string to remove a nail from in front of the weighted lever
44. The weighted lever hits the box of serial knocking it into a funnel
45. The funnel allows a serving size amount fall into the bowl. Left with a bowl of cereal.
Our Close-ups: Photos
A maximum of 3 close-ups (scanned diagrams, photos). Images must be JPG or PNG, and less than 5 MB.
Our Close-ups: Task Completion
Our Machine Explaination and Walkthrough
Our Machine Run Videos