Pour A Bowl of Cereal
Online Division I - Ages 11 - 14 (Middle School)
Sabrina Baron - invitation signed.
Kara Barrese - invitation signed.
Adrianna Brown - invitation signed.
Julian Donnery - invitation signed.
Maddie Morter - invitation signed.
Erik Nobler - invitation signed.
Ava Scott - invitation signed.
Eric Musicer - invitation signed.
Maddy Tsai - invitation signed.
Jayson Jinguji - invitation signed.
What we're studying:
Rube Goldberg Machines
Simple MachinesOur Team Leader's favorite quote:
"The sooner we fail, the quicker we will succeed."Why we think we should win:
We think the Western Saloon/Whodunnit Mystery theme of our Rube Goldberg machine is very unique and creative. We included many thematic props and built many of our own elements from scratch, like the water wheel using a large spool and red solo cups. We learned so much about simple machines, and especially that Rube Goldberg machines are much harder to build than they look. We have a new appreciation for Rube Goldberg's sense of humor, creativity, persistence, and determination!Suggestion for next year's challenge:
Water a plant
Open a can of food
Spray a water gun
Flip a sign "Closed" to "Open"
We are the ACDS Cougars and this is our Western Saloon/Whodunnit Mystery-themed Rube Goldberg machine...
Oh no! The Sheriff's cereal was stolen again! Who's the culprit this time? Was it Buzz, Boo Berry, Trix Rabbit, Count Chocula, Sonny, or Lucky? Don't be fooled by their sweet and innocent appearance. These General Mills characters can be little rascals, and they will do just about anything to get their favorite cereal! Join us as the Sheriff visits the Cereal Killer Saloon to investigate. Can you help the Sheriff follow the clues and track down the thief who stole the cereal?
Our Step List
1. The sheriff opens the saloon door which pulls on the attached string.
2. The string pulls on a nail wedged underneath the train.
3. The nail falls and releases the train.
4. The train rolls down the track.
5. At the end of the track, the train hits a balloon with a marble already inside.
6. The balloon pops and releases the marble.
7. The marble falls through the cowboy hat funnel.
8. The marble drops and then rolls down the ramp below.
9. The marble hits and knocks over the row of dominos.
10. The last domino knocks the white marble off the table.
11. The marble falls down into the funnel and through the clear spiral tube.
12. The marble knocks off the bottle cap at the end of the tube.
13. As the bottle cap rises, the heavier tinker toy on the other side of the pulley drops.
14. The weight of the tinker toy pulls down the attached string of beads in a bowl.
15. The beads fall into the cardboard box on the pool ball triangle rack lever below.
16. The weight of the beads tilts the lever and drops the box down.
17. As the box drops, it pulls on an attached string on a pulley.
18. The string lifts up an index card, releasing the 8-ball on the ramp.
19. The 8-ball rolls down the inclined plane.
20. At the end of the ramp, the 8-ball falls into a container filled with water.
21. The water level in the container rises, starting the siphon.
22. The water pours through the clear tube and onto the water wheel.
23. The water spins the water wheel and falls into the tin pail below.
24. As the water wheel spins, it pulls on a string attached to a bottle cap with a steel marble on top.
25. The bottle cap and steel marble fall off the shelf.
26. The steel marble drops into a funnel and rolls down the plastic marble run.
27. At the end of the run, the steel marble drops and rolls down the cardboard ramp below.
28. The steel marble falls into a cup on one side of a balance scale.
29. The weight of the steel marble tilts the scale down on that side.
30. As the other side of the scale rises, it lifts up the attached cardboard ramp.
31. As the ramp rises, it creates an incline plane and causes the white pool ball to move.
32. The white pool ball rolls down the second cardboard ramp.
33. At the end of the ramp, the pool ball falls into the tin pail below.
34. The weight of the pool ball causes the tin pail to drop lower to the ground.
35. As the pail drops, it lifts up the cowboy boots attached to the other side of the pulley.
36. As the boots stand up straight, it loosens the attached string.
37. The string rises up and over the wall, releasing one end of the cereal box on the other side.
38. The cereal box lever tips over and pours out the cereal.
39. The cereal falls through the funnel and lands in the bowl below.
40. The Trix rabbit enjoys the cereal until the the sheriff catches the "cereal killer" in the act!
Our Close-ups: Photos
A maximum of 3 close-ups (scanned diagrams, photos). Images must be JPG or PNG, and less than 5 MB.
Our Close-ups: Task Completion
Our Machine Explaination and Walkthrough
Our Machine Run Videos