Apply A BAND-AID®
AP Brewer High School
Saturday, February 25, 2017 Setup Time:
8:00 AM Contest Start Time:
Live Division II - Ages 14 - 18 (High School)
What we're studying:
Our team is all in the same honors physics class. We just finished learning acceleration in motion. We are currently working on motion in 2 dimensions, specifically projectile motion.Our Team Leader's favorite quote:
“It’s nice to be important. It’s more important to be nice.” -CJ the DJ, 105.1 WQSB, Albertville, ALWhy we think we should win:
Our team believes we should win this competition for multiple reasons. We have juggled many extracurriculars other than this project such as: tennis, cross country, robotics team, dual enrollment courses, jobs, etc. We also would like the honor of first place for our school. We are very prideful in our school spirit and want to represent our student body. We don’t just want to represent our school, we want to represent Rube Goldberg. His creativity and intellect inspired us as students. Also, we all have competitive personalities, and love a challenge. We had a lot of fun making this machine, and we hope you will enjoy it as much as we did.Suggestion for next year's challenge:
Play a song
Close a door
Close a book
Turn on/off a light
Turn off an alarmFavorite Rube Goldberg video:
Our machine starts out its journey with students leaving their homes to start their school day. They get on the school bus, and head straight to the school library. Once they finish up their reading, they drink some apple juice to get through english class. Then they go to history. After history they travel up to science where they practice their elements, and they finish their last class learning parabolas in math. Finally, the students have so much fun at the playground that they injure their finger. They get back on the school bus, and go home where they get a band-aid.
Our Step List
1. We release marbles which fall through a sorter.
2. The marbles fall into a funnel.
3. They then travel down a PVC pipe incline plane where the marbles hit a golf ball.
4. The golf ball rolls down a curved ramp.
5. The golf ball hits school bus.
6. The school bus rolls down an incline plane.
7. The school bus then hits a lever.
8. Lever hits Jenga pieces(books).
9. Jenga pieces hit metal weight which falls into cup.
10. Weight of cup pulls a string.
11. The string runs over a pulley and lifts a lever.
12. Car rolls down a ramp and hits a lever.
13. The lever falls and hits a button.
14. The button triggers an engine to move a chain and sprocket system.
15. A rubber flap on the chain hits a jenga piece.
16. The jenga pieces fall and hit a ball attached to a string.
17. A second ball is hit which hits a bouncy ball.
18. The bouncy ball goes through plinko board made out of no.2 pencils
19. The bouncy ball exits the plinko board and falls into a funnel.
20. When exiting the funnel the bouncy ball goes down an incline plane and knocks a weight off a shelf.
21. The weight falling pulls a string.
22. The string runs over a pulley and lifts the lever.
23. A marble rolls down the lever and falls halfway down a screw (spiral car track).
24. The marble hits a golf ball which continues down the screw.
25. The golf ball then hits a metal piece which hits a weight.
26. The weight rolls down an incline plane and hits a school bus.
27. The bus runs into a finger, applying the band-aid.
Our Close-ups: Photos
Our Close-ups: Favorite Step
Our Close-ups: Task Completion
Our Machine Explaination and Walkthrough
Our Machine Run Videos