Erase A Chalkboard
Online Division I - Ages 11 - 14 (Middle School)
What we're studying:
Hair-flipping, deep sighs, and eye-rolling. (Just kidding!) Ping-pong balls, cannons, rubber bands, rubber ducks, pool noodles, and volcanic explosions!Our Team Leader's favorite quote:
Mistakes are awesome!Why we think we should win:
We worked really hard -- and really well together and had a great time. We also have a volcano!Suggestion for next year's challenge:
Turn the page in a book.
Peel a banana.
Flip a coin.
Stack a block.
Take off a bandaid.
Make toast.Favorite Rube Goldberg video:
We are the Deathly Mallows! A group of homeschoolers in Richmond, Virginia who enjoy working with weird stuff to do cool things. We have made a lot of stuff this year. And, yes, there is a marshmallow stuck on the wall of our classroom.
Our Step List
A group of kids await detention. One of them has written, “We don’t need no edukashun” on the board. The teacher walks in and insists that this be erased!
1. A book is opened and the cover lands on a “hamster” (not real).
2. The toy is turned on and begins to move forward.
3. The toy falls off the table.
4. The toy lands on a see-saw contraption.
a. Activating a second see-saw.
5. The second see-saw lowers which sets off a roll of tape.
6. The roll of masking tape falls and hits a book.
a. Which creates a domino effect.
7. The last book falls and pulls a cord.
8. The cord is attached to a play-school bus which crashes to the ground.
9. A marble run is activated.
10. A golf ball is knocked off the marble run.
11. The golf ball pulls on a trap door.
12. The trap door opens, releasing baking soda.
13. The baking soda falls into the volcano creating a chemical reaction.
14. A rubber ducky is propelled from the volcano.
15. The rubber ducky knocks a rolling pin off the table.
16. The rolling pin adds extra weight to a chalk tray.
17. The chalk tray lowers.
18. As the chalk tray lowers, a giant eraser (a piece of wood with a beach towel) erases the chalk board.
Our Close-ups: Photos
Our Close-ups: Favorite Step
Our Close-ups: Task Completion
Our Machine Explaination and Walkthrough
Our Machine Run Videos