Put Money in a Piggy Bank
Online Division I - Ages 11 - 14 (Middle School)
Myra Fuhrman - invitation signed.
Shylee May - invitation signed.
Lexa Voldberg - invitation sent
Syndey Herrigel - invitation signed.
Tatum Scheeler - invitation signed.
Aedan Willis - invitation sent
John Bly - invitation sent
Madison Bly - invitation sent
Jacob Hunter - invitation signed.
Micheal Osborne - invitation sent
Sabrina Shearin - invitation opened.
What we're studying:
How to work together as a team to engineer a machine that challenged the Game Overs creativity, ingenuity, and fine motor skills. Our Team Leader's favorite quote:
“Continue to improve”
“It’s crunch time!”
Why we think we should win:
The Game Overs believe we should win because of our hard work, dedication, and grit. During our time building the Power-up Arcade we learned about each other, how to use a variety of simple and complex machines, and how to be innovative on the fly. The creative energy that flowed through our team allowed us to build trust, leadership, and strong communication skills. Working as a team brought us closer together and provided us the opportunity to develop friendship. Winning this competition would be almost as joyus at the time we spent together building the Power-up Arcade. Suggestion for next year's challenge:
Pour a cup of water
Play a tune
Crack an egg
Make a drawing
Favorite Rube Goldberg video:
An abandoned, colorful 80’s style arcade that has gone out of business and is now only home to spiders and the spirits of years past. This arcade brings you back to a magical time of timeless games, endless soda, and pizza. It all begins with a the discovery of a forgotten token. Once used it causes a mouse to scamper away from a trap that snaps down on a string, turning on the first arcade. Then a yellow chomper is released into a maze and meets the blue spirit. As the blue spirit spirals out of control it it releases three barrels of soda. When the barrels fall, it short circuits the arcade and turns on the next game. As a plumber dodges barrels thrown by an angry ape he strikes the power on. The glowing green light awaken the aliens which fling marbles down towards the space ship. The marbles overwhelm the balance and cause the destruction of a balloon triggering a cascade of falling blocks. As the blocks descend the dislodge Mega Block. When the last piece falls, a stuck quarter is dislodged and “banked” for the arcade!
Our Step List
1. Insert a coin into a the machine on the right side
2. Insert token into the machine of on the left side
3. Token rolls down ramp
4. Token triggers mouse trap
5. Sting attached to mouse trap pulls can open
6. Ball falls from can down the maze triggering a trapdoor to avoid a ghost
7. Ball hits a trigger which spins ghost
8. Spinning ghost winds in string which pulls a wooden support away and releases barrels
9. Falling barrels trigger a touch sensor that activates a motor
10. The motor activates gears that turn chains
11. As the chains turn a man is moved upward to hit a powerstrip button
12. When the button is hit a green light turns on
13. When the light turns on a green light sensor sends a signal to the marble shooter
14. Marbles shoot out and they trickle through a board of screws, past a starship and into a chute
15. The marbles are collected on the left side of a scale
16. When the scale is weighted the right side lifts a hand with a needle and pops a balloon.
17. The balloon was pushing against a trigger. When it pops the trigger is released.
18. When the trigger releases gears begin to turn
19. The turning gears release blocks that form a wall
20. Once all the wall is built a large block is released
21.The large block pulls on a string opening a door that releases the original coin
22. Upon the release the coin rolls down a ramp into a piggy bank.
Coin lands in piggy bank. Task Complete!
Our Close-ups: Photos
A maximum of 3 close-ups (scanned diagrams, photos). Images must be JPG or PNG, and less than 5 MB.
Our Close-ups: Task Completion
Our Machine Explaination and Walkthrough
Our Machine Run Videos