Open An Umbrella
Online Division II - Ages 14 - 18 (High School)
What we're studying:
Our group members come from all grades in high school, and have all had physics experience in fields like Newton laws, forces, energy, waves, electro-magnetics, etc.Our Team Leader's favorite quote:
We are all living in the gutters, but some of us are looking at the stars. --Oscar WildeWhy we think we should win:
We rock...We spend a lot of time working together on the machine, and have many original ideas. Our machine is very theme-oriented, and shows the international energy in our school. Everyone loves this machine. Our materials are mostly hand-made from everyday objects. We used effectively our knowledge from physics class. Suggestion for next year's challenge:
Pulling a piece of tissue from the tissue box.
Favorite Rube Goldberg video:
Our international theme is designed around 5 continents. We are first in Asia where we travel down Mt. Fuji and the Great Wall of China. It enters the Pyramids of Egypt (Aftrica) where it ends with a giraffe going down a cart and entering Australia. Australia creates a way into Europe which ends with North America pulling a boot to open up the umbrella.
Our Step List
1. Water was put into the flexible pipe with a funnel and goes down through the pipe into the cup on the seesaw
2. When enough water goes into the seesaw, the cup-side goes down and the other side will rise.
3. Then the ball on the other side will fall into the Great Wall through a hole on the seesaw.
4. When the ball rolls through the Great Wall
5. Balls drops into the container at the end of the Great Wall, the container will drop down and the flags of four Asian countries (China, Japan, India and Korea), which are connected by a string, will be hung up.
6. Container hits the domino
7. Dominos fall
8. The last piece of domino will hit the marble resting at the end of the ramp so the marble will go down the ramp around the pyramid
9. The marble drops and bounces off a mini trampoline.
10. Ball hits cardboard and tilts it
11. Cardboard tilts like a see-saw and dumps a marble resting in a cup on the other side of see-saw into a basket.
12. Marble hits another marble resting at the bottom of the basket.
13. The third marble will hit another see-saw like contraption, which will move a piece of bamboo.
14. Bamboo, which is keeping a car with giraffe on top of ramp, will now make the car move down the ramp.
15. the giraffe car goes down the ramp and pulls the string
16. the strings let the cards (with animal drawings) to fall down from the table
17. the strings pull the stick away from the track so that the marble can rolls down
18. the marble rolls down and hit the switch of a fan and turns the fan on
19.. the wind pushes the opera-house-boat to move forward
20. The boat hits the cup on the other side of the container.
21. the cup falls over and the marble inside the cup comes out and rolls down a ramp
22. balls hits a domino at the bottom of the ramp
23. The last domino has aluminum foil on and falls down and completes a circuit
24. Circuit will engage an electromagnet
25. Electromagnet will pull a sting that pulls the Leaning Tower of Pisa down.
26. The Leaning Tower of Pisa will fall onto a string, rotating the ferris wheel.
27. The Ferris Wheel will move a tennis ball forward.
28. The tennis ball will move a piece of cardboard that will hit a ball.
29. The ball will go down a ramp.
30. The ball will enter a battery powered spiral staircase and move up the spiral.
31. ball will leave the spiral and hit dominos
32. Dominos will hit a mass and fall off the cardboard into a red cup
33. the red cup will pull down a switch to the spring loaded car
34. Car will move and hit a lever (lower end of hockey stick)
35. the top end of hockey stick will hit a metal ball
36. metal ball will roll down and fall into a bucket
37. bucket, attached to a pulley, will pull up one end of the ramp
38. Another ball will then roll down several ramps hitting another hockey stick
39. hockey stick falls and knocks over Mickey Mouse
40. Mickey mouse is attached to a string which is attached to a wooden dowel that supports the heel of a boot.
41. The string will pull the dowel and the boot will fall
42. boot hits a wooden block and opens up the umbrella.
Our Close-ups: Photos
Our Close-ups: Favorite Step
Our Close-ups: Task Completion
Our Machine Explaination and Walkthrough
Our Machine Run Videos