Open An Umbrella
Online Division I - Ages 11 - 14 (Middle School)
What we're studying:
EngineeringOur Team Leader's favorite quote:
"Failure lies not in falling down. Failure lies in not getting up." (Chinese proverb)Why we think we should win:
We worked diligently in effort of assembling a tremendous fully operating Rube Goldberg Machine. We went through many problematic complications, and endeavored until the end with an overall head of patience. Suggestion for next year's challenge:
Type four letters on a computer.Favorite Rube Goldberg video:
Our Rube Goldberg machine, called Area 62, starts out with a marble run and dominoes, and goes through a series of steps. At the end, an umbrella opens. Our theme is a dangerous construction yard with falling houses and tumbling bricks. You may need more than an umbrella to protect your head!
Our Step List
1. A marble is released through a hole.
2. The marble hits dominoes, which cause a domino effect.
3. The last domino hits a tennis ball.
4. The tennis ball strikes a small baseball bat which is attached to the set.
5. The small bat tilts and knocks over a book.
6. The books hit each other and the last one falls on scissors, which close.
7. The scissors close and break a rubber band, which is holding onto a running train.
8. The rubber band lets go of the train, which moves forward and hits a wooden pole which is attached to the set.
9. The pole has a pool ball with tape on it, which falls onto a hamster wheel.
10. The wheel spins and one side of it is attached to a heavy weight with a string.
11. The heavy weight falls and pulls on another string from blinds.
12. That string is attached to two sides of an umbrella. It pulls and the umbrella opens! Voila!
Our Close-ups: Photos
Our Close-ups: Favorite Step
Our Close-ups: Task Completion
Our Machine Explaination and Walkthrough
Our Machine Run Videos