Hammer A Nail
Online Division I - Ages 11 - 14 (Middle School)
What we're studying:
Energy transfers, types of energyOur Team Leader's favorite quote:
Kapish, KaposhWhy we think we should win:
Ours should win because it is creative and we worked hard for many nights to make it the best we possibly could.Suggestion for next year's challenge:
Hit two birds with one stone.
Our Step List
1. With a hammer, a cue ball is sent rolling down a track of pool sticks.
2. The cue ball knocks a dowel down and releases another pool ball above.
3. This pool ball rolls into another dowel and the dowel releases a third pool ball.
4. This final pool ball of the sequence rolls into a bucket with a string attached. The falling bucket yanks on the string which transfers through a pulley pulling off a binder clip from a tethered tennis ball.
5. The released tether/tennis ball begins to unwind.
6. The tether ball then hits another tennis ball in its widening path. This starts the ball rolling down a pair of pool sticks.
7. The ball proceeds to knock into the first of a series of dominoes.
8. The dominoes then push a train to start it down a track.
9. The train strikes a pool ball causing it to roll down the books.
10. That ball then falls on the hospital landing pad triggering a lever that releases a choo choo train.
11.The choo choo knocks over a Jenga block causing a chain reaction of falling blocks uphill.
12. The last block then pushes an ambulance to start down a short track.
13. That ambulance runs into a roll of tape at the bottom of the track causing it to roll.
14. The tape then rolls down a ping pong table, knocking away a tennis ball can which supports a croquet ball of a Newton's cradle.
15. The momentum transfers to the last Newton ball which then hammers the nail into the "100% oak" wood.
Our Close-ups: Photos
Our Close-ups: Favorite Step
Our Close-ups: Task Completion
Our Machine Explaination and Walkthrough
Our Machine Run Videos