Apply A BAND-AID®
Online Division II - Ages 14 - 18 (High School)
What we're studying:
wer'e in the ninth grade, we study 3 languages: arabic, hebrew, english. science: physics, biology, chemistry. mathmetics...Our Team Leader's favorite quote:
A good leader takes a little more than his share of the blame, a little less than his share of the credit.Why we think we should win:
1. We stood up to everything we are supposed to do.
2. We really worked hard for this, day and night.
3. All of the machine's moves from our own imagination.
4. We built the all of the machine's parts in our hands.
5. We worked like we have one brain focused on the target. Suggestion for next year's challenge:
open a tuna canFavorite Rube Goldberg video:
Our machine includes about 30 processes.
Every single process works depending on physical basis.
Our machine's volume is 8.1 m^3.
The explanation of every process is mentioned at "our step list".
Our Step List
1. The ball is attached to a magnet, and when you pull the trigger the ball gets released from the magnet and falls onto a path.
2. At the end of the path the ball hits dominos that causes a chain reaction till it hits a billiard ball
3. The billiard ball falls into a box.
4. The ball's mass causes the lever to move and push another lever that is connected to a string.
5. The string is attached to a third lever that has a string that connects it with a stick and when the lever moves it pulls the stick out of the cone to release four small balls onto the path.
6. The balls hit a billiard ball that hits a lever, and the lever is attached to a small piece of plastic that holds the ball, so when the lever pulls the string, it releases the ball.
7. The ball goes down the path to collapse a fragile wooden table, which has a weight on top of it.
8. The weight is connected to a balloon with a string, the balloon has sodium bicarbonate in it and it is tied on a bottle that has vinegar in it so when the table collapses the weight falls and pulls the balloon so it releases sodium bicarbonate into the vinegar which causes a chemical reaction that inflates the balloon.
9. When the balloon gets inflated it moves a piece of plastic that causes a chain reaction of dominos.
10. The last domino moves a billiard ball into a path where it hits a weight, the weight is connected to a barrier so when the weight falls it opens a barrier.
11. The ball continues to push a wooden hammer that moves a small ball through the barrier that was opened previously into a pipe that leads to a small pool table so the ball hits an iron ball and pushes it so it goes through a hole on the table.
12. The iron ball falls into a cup that's connected to a piece of cloth that's preventing a billiard ball to fall (like a lid).
13. When the iron ball falls into the cup its mass causes to open the lid and the ball falls into a series of zig zag paths.
14. On the bottom path the ball hits a wooden piece that releases a hammer, when the hammer gets released it hits a button on a toaster that makes a piece of bread go up so it makes a bridge so the ball can go on it.
15. At the end of the path the ball moves a lever that releases a second billiard ball beneath it into a short path.
16. The billiard ball hits a newton crane that hits it back to a long path.
17. The ball goes along the path till it reaches a moving bridge, the mass of the ball causes the bridge to go down so the billiard ball can go on a short path.
18. The billiard ball falls into a cup so the cup goes down because of the ball's weight, the cup is attached to the string that goes around the roller, therefore when the cup goes down it pulls the string that's connected to a small box. When this box is pulled up it causes a small car to go down the road.
19. When the car gets to the bottom it pushes a billiard ball in a path.
20. At the end of the path the falls into a small box that moves a lever that causes another lever to go down and stick a band aid.
Our Close-ups: Photos
Our Close-ups: Favorite Step
Our Close-ups: Task Completion
Our Machine Explaination and Walkthrough
Our Machine Run Videos