Open An Umbrella
Online Division I - Ages 11 - 14 (Middle School)
What we're studying:
We, the Rube Crew, are studying Newton's Laws of Motion in order to create a Rube Goldberg machine that will open an umbrella with ten or more steps. Our Team Leader's favorite quote:
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."-Albert EnstienWhy we think we should win:
We have put all of our Tuesday afternoons into our project and have not stopped in the past 6 months. We have strived to include everybody's ideas on our machine. We used materials that we have found in our homes and in school. Suggestion for next year's challenge:
Turn on a light, staple a paper, turn to a page in a book.Favorite Rube Goldberg video:
Upon the release of the first ball of a Newton's Cradle, the reaction is the last ball hitting a domino. This triggers a series of dominoes, which hits a toy car. The toy car rolls down a ramp to hit a marble which rolls down a tube and hits a golf ball. The golf ball hits a wooden cylinder that then rolls and causes scissors to cut a rope. The rope has been holding a weight, but now that its been cut, the weight falls, and pulls on the umbrella. The umbrella opens.
Our Step List
1. Release the Newton's Cradle Ball.
2. The ball hits series of dominoes.
3. The dominoes hit a toy car.
4. The toy car rolls and hits a marble.
5. The Marble travels down a tube and hits a golf ball.
6. The golf ball hits a wooden cylinder.
7. The wooden cylinder falls down a ramp at hits a pair of scissors.
8. The scissors close and cut a string.
9. The string is attached to a weight, therefore it falls.
10. The weight pulls on a string attached to an umbrella.
11. The button on the umbrella is depressed, opening the umbrella.
Our Close-ups: Photos
Our Close-ups: Favorite Step
Our Close-ups: Task Completion
Our Machine Explaination and Walkthrough
Our Machine Run Videos