Open An Umbrella
Online Division II - Ages 14 - 18 (High School)
What we're studying:
We study math at the higher level , physics, biology an chemistry.Our Team Leader's favorite quote:
Never give up and always be patient!Why we think we should win:
We had work a lot on this machine, we gave some extraordinery ideas and a cute story.
Our team is very unite and works very well together!Suggestion for next year's challenge:
Make a coffee.Favorite Rube Goldberg video:
Our machine opens an umbrella within 42 levels. The machine based on mechanics, optics, electricity and magnetism.
Our Step List
Rube Goldberg machine explained:
1. The machine starts to work when we hit a tuning fork with a sound box. The sound waves travel to a second sound box and vibrate a second tuning fork, which has the same frequency.
2. The vibrations of the second tuning fork causes a ball to move.
3. This movement causes a domino effect (about 10 domino pieces).
4. The last domino piece pushes a small ball down, rolling along a sloped plastic path and gaining velocity.
5. At the fifth rail, the small ball collides with another small ball pushing a stick glued to a second ball.
6. When the stick moves, it pushes a marble ball to roll along a strait plastic rail, hitting a hammer handle attached to the end of the rail.
7. The hammer head is attached another rail. The impact causes the hammer to push another marble ball along the rail.
8. This process is repeated along a structure with 4 rails and 3 hammers.
9. The last marble ball falls into a paper cup which is connected to another paper cup through a pulley block. When the cup with the ball falls, the other cup goes up and rotates a stick.
10. The stick pushes a small car that hits a small iron ball.
11. The iron ball falls to a paper cup that turns on a laser pointer.
12. A lens focuses the beam of light right to a black part of the balloon and bursts it.
13. The marble ball, which was inside the balloon, falls through a funnel to a tube and hits a plastic ring.
14. The ring has some mass at the top of it, so the hitting from the small ball causes the ring to lose its balance and it starts to roll and hit dominos.
15. The last piece of domino hits a very small iron ball that enters a tube with spiral shape on a cone.
16. The ball falls into a funnel which has two strips of aluminum at the bottom with small space between them. When the ball gets to the bottom, it closes the electrical circuit and an electrical current starts to flow through the copper coil.
17. The copper coil produces a magnetic field that repels a very strong magnet that is positioned with the fitting pole inside the coil.
18. The magnet hits the first wooden board and the wooden boards line falls.
19. The last wooden board hits a cone pendulum that hits another plastic ring.
20. The ring hits an iron ball which starts a magnetic accelerator cannon ("Gauss rifle").
21. The last ball climbs its path and collides with another ball from its right side. This ball rolls down and hits a wooden stick with a needle on its top.
22. The needle bursts a balloon which is connected to a mass through a pulley block and the mass falls and turn on the hair drier.
23. The flow of air, which is created by the hair drier, pushes a small ball that resting inside the tube and hits the button of the umbrella.
And…The umbrella opens!
Our Close-ups: Photos
Our Close-ups: Favorite Step
Our Close-ups: Task Completion
Our Machine Explaination and Walkthrough
Our Machine Run Videos