Open An Umbrella
Online Division I - Ages 11 - 14 (Middle School)
What we're studying:
We are studying the engineering design process. We learn how to take a simple idea and turn it from an idea on paper to a 3 dimensional reality. We study various simple machines and how they interact with each other to form more complex machines. We also learned to use different power tools and mechanical technologies. By combining our engineering skills and our new mechanical skills, we were able to whimsically form a Rube Goldberg machine. Our Team Leader's favorite quote:
"I forget what I was taught, I only remember what I've learnt." - Patrick WhiteWhy we think we should win:
We overcame certain hardships and challenges, especially team arguments and time constraints. We all had our own ideas and different views that needed compromise, but eventually we came together as a team and put our differences aside to solve our dilemmas. Another problem was the fact that we didn't have nearly the amount of time we would've liked to put towards this, yet were still able work hard and fast as to complete our goal.Suggestion for next year's challenge:
Answer a phone
Welcome to a land where nothing ever works, convoluted solutions are the norm, machines are held together with tons of adhesive fabric, and nobody can think of a good way to open our umbrella- the land of Duct Duct Goose! See the crazy solution to opening an umbrella that somehow, just barely works, using hot glue, various pieces of wood, barely enough steps, and a TON of duct tape!
Our Step List
1. A pendulum is dropped with a weight on it and hits a baseball
2. The baseball rolls down an inclined plane and falls into a red solo cup
3. The red solo cup is attached to a pulley. This then triggers the pulley lifting a cup full of marbles
4. When the marbles in the cup rise a lever turns.
5. The lever disposes of a rubber-band covered ball.
6. The ball falls onto a clothes pin, opening it.
7. The close pin then opens and lets go of a rubber band which is holding back a winded up car.
8. The car moves forward, into a full water bottle.
9. The water bottle tips over, pouring water into a cup.
10. The balloon in the cup then rises and hits a lever that is holding a marble on the downward side
11. The marble thens rolls and hits a domino which then sets a series of dominoes/ books.
12. The last book then hits the pipe.
13. The pulley drops, pulling down the balloon.
Our Close-ups: Photos
Our Close-ups: Favorite Step
Our Close-ups: Task Completion
Our Machine Explaination and Walkthrough
Our Machine Run Videos