Inflate A Balloon and Pop It!
Online Division I - Ages 11 - 14 (Middle School)
What we're studying:
Founding of American, Reading, Fractions, Gymnastics, Spanish and Special Science ProjectsOur Team Leader's favorite quote:
Make this a better world,
and let it begin with me.Why we think we should win:
We have spent a lot of time on our machine. We are devoted to make our contraption actually work. We had a great time showing it off to our entire school!Suggestion for next year's challenge:
Opening a can of soda
St. Thomas's Day School A Small School Where Big Things Happen
We used the theme of Creative Kids, Loose in the Lab... allowing students to scavenge boxes of science equipment to construct their machine.
Our Step List
1. A marble is dropped into a ramp where it falls through a door that, when subjected to pressure, opens, and the marble falls into a water wheel.
2. The water wheel spins until the marble dumps onto a wide ramp.
3. While going down the ramp it hits spoons making a musical clinking sound.
4.The ramp transfers the marble to a gutter where it hits a sponge backboard and goes down another gutter.
5. Then the marble goes through a curved metal pipe and aims at a line of dominos.
6. The branch of dominos that goes straight hits another marble waiting on the track.
7. This marble rolls down into a cup which is attached to a string.
8. The cup falls to the floor allowing the string to move through a pulley system.
9. The string goes over the pulley system and tugs on the balloon to lift it.
10.The balloon is full of baking soda which it dumps into the waiting bottle.
11. The bottle has vinegar in the bottom, setting up a chemical reaction with the baking soda.
12. The balloon fills with Carbon Dioxide, blowing up the balloon.
13. As the balloon fills up it presses against the ring of tacks in the pretzel jug top that cause the balloon to pop!
Alternate domino track: Go back to step 5 where the ball hits the dominos...
14. An alternate chain of dominoes is set up to run alongside the track.
15. This line of dominoes goes over a bridge and hits another ball.
16. The last ball goes down the ramp and falls to the floor, hitting the spring loaded Easy button, setting off the sound recording, “That was Easy!”
Our Close-ups: Photos
Our Close-ups: Favorite Step
Our Close-ups: Task Completion
Our Machine Explaination and Walkthrough
Our Machine Run Videos