Apply A BAND-AID®
Black & Veatch
Saturday, March 04, 2017 Setup Time:
7:00 AM Contest Start Time:
Live Division I - Ages 11 - 14 (Middle School)
What we're studying:
We recently finished a study of genetics in science class, and now we are exploring the differences between homology and analogy in evolution.Our Team Leader's favorite quote:
"Happiness comes from being a little uncomfortable as often as possible so you’re always learning and growing." -Rick Hatch
Global First-Aid Kit:
Specific world problems in America, China, Australia and Haiti are addressed, ending with a healing touch administered to the world by the United Nations.
Our Step List
1. Marble-filled ping pong ball hits airplane.
2. Airplane rides down a zipline, hitting the Twin Towers, causing marble to roll down a tube.
3. Marble rolls through the tube, knocking down army men.
4. A string attached to the army men opens the hatch in China and causes a ping-pong ball (A) and golf ball (B) to fall down to ramps below, both at the same time, and moving down two different paths.
5. (A) The ping-pong ball rolls down, hitting a golf ball pendulum.
6. Golf ball pendulum swings, knocking a small container of brown water into the Australia water container.
7. Back to the golf ball (B) that drops from China…The golf ball rolls down a ramp, hitting the city in Haiti.
8. A marble on the edge of the platform rolls into a flag pole, pushing it.
9. The vibrations from the ping-pong ball on the A path (step 5) will cause a marble to roll down a ramp.
10. The marble will hit a wooden piece that holds two hemispheres of the globe apart, bringing the two halves together.
11. At the same time, the flag with a band-aid runs into the globe, attaching the band-aid.
Our Close-ups: Photos
Our Close-ups: Favorite Step
Our Close-ups: Task Completion
Our Machine Explaination and Walkthrough
Our Machine Run Videos