Open An Umbrella
Online Division I - Ages 11 - 14 (Middle School)
What we're studying:
Simple Machines and how they operate in the worldOur Team Leader's favorite quote:
Anyone who has never made a mistake, has never tried anything new......Albert EinsteinWhy we think we should win:
I think our group should win, because they have spent countless hours of thinking, researching, and gathering junk only to think about how they can create a masterpiece in transfer of energy. Suggestion for next year's challenge:
Wave the American flag (back and forth, side to side or all around)Favorite Rube Goldberg video:
Using tubes and cardboard of all shapes and sizes, our machines are gravity's best friend. Materials include cardboard paper towel rolls, cardboard boxes, meter sticks, dominoes, race cars, rubber balls, and lots of tape! Incline planes make up the majority of our machines, with a pulley on top.
Our Step List
1. The ball #1 starts with a push by a student.
2. The ball #1 hits a Domino and both ball #1 and Domino drop into the cup, which is attached to a pulley with another cup attached to it.
3. As the first cup with Domino/ball #1 is lowered, the second cup is raised until it tips a lever with ball #2 that rolls down a tube.
4. The ball #2 rolls into a funnel made by sticks continuing to roll.
5. The ball #2 rolls down and hits ball #3.
6. As ball #2 and #3 make there way path that has then going through two vertical levers then ultimately through funnel.
7. The path leads balls #2/#3 to collide with ball #4, which now rolls down to the end of the lever.
8. Ball #4 rolls into and triggers a series of Dominos that continue the transfer of energy.
9. At then end of the Dominos a transfer energy happens to another ball #5 that runs down multiple tubes.
10. Halfway through the tube ball #5 collides with ball #6 and it continues to roll down the tube.
11. Ball #6 then triggers a Domino.
12. The Domino falls into ball #7 and the ball proceeds down a shaft.
13. At the end of the path, ball #7 collides with a series of Dominos.
14. The last Domino hits the car which moves down a ramp through a tube.
15. The car hits the a first book in a series four books that topple forward.
16. The Fourth book hits a box.
17. The box jostles a lid sitting on top with ball #8 resting inside and helping it to start moving.
18. The ball #8 rolls through the tube.
19. Ball #8 hits a book that falls forward into a bottle.
20. The bottle is resting sideways and has a straw connected to the lid area sticking straight out of the bottle. The straw is connected to a tropical drink umbrella, which is resting on a block and the umbrella is touching a heavy box in front of it. As the bottle moves forward, the straw moves forward, thus opening up an umbrella.
Our Close-ups: Photos
Our Close-ups: Favorite Step
Our Close-ups: Task Completion
Our Machine Explaination and Walkthrough
Our Machine Run Videos