Pour A Bowl of Cereal
Online Division I - Ages 11 - 14 (Middle School)
Wilson Byrne - invitation signed.
David Tran - invitation sent
Joziah Gamble - invitation sent
Emely Morales - invitation sent
Azman Hogue - invitation sent
My Ngo - invitation sent
Michael Spivey - invitation signed.
Zora Tucker - invitation signed.
Abraham Nyante - invitation signed.
Daina Duncanson - invitation signed.
What we're studying:
Physical Science and Simple Machines. How Simple machines shape, change, create and seamlessly fit into our life to help make work easier. Our Team Leader's favorite quote:
If you love what you do and you get paid for it, you will never work a day in your life. Strive for that kind of passion in the work you do. Why we think we should win:
Our team has been dedicated to meet regularly all year long to put creative juices together to form a machine. This is our third year and we hope to keep building fun contraptions. Our students are only offered a couple hours a week to work on this machine, so they have done a great job. Suggestion for next year's challenge:
Launch a paper airplane.Favorite Rube Goldberg video:
Our machine has a Kitchen Theme. We are using a number of simple machines from pulleys, to levers, to wedges to wheel and axle to allow a young lady to wake up and make herself some breakfast. She wakes up and of course being hungry, she strolls into the Kitchen with her PJ's. What is she going to find is a wierd looking machine her brother is working on. She pushes one part of the machine to start a chain reaction, ultimately to find that machine was set up to pour her some cereal and top it off with some milk. Her brother must really like his sister!
Our Step List
1. The First Car goes down the ramp.
2. The First Car hits a Second Car.
3. The Second Car hits the dominos.
4. The dominos hit the Tennis Ball.
5. Simultaneously, the dominos hit a Toy car which moves forward and hits the wedge.
6. The wedge hits the cup of cereal and it falls into a bowl down a long inclined plane.
7. Triggered by the Dominos, the Tennis Ball rolls off the tables, falls and lands in the aluminum bowl connected on a pulley.
8. The pulley weighted down by the ball, triggers a second part of the pulley that triggers Batman.
9. Batman is connected on a zipline and flys down the string.
10. Batman lands on the blue target.
11. Batman triggers the target which launches a third toy car.
12. The car goes down the track and hits the larger car with an attached pencil.
13. The large Car hits the book.
14. The Book falls on the switch and turns on the pump.
15. The air pump releases the milk onto the bowl of cereal.
Our Close-ups: Photos
A maximum of 3 close-ups (scanned diagrams, photos). Images must be JPG or PNG, and less than 5 MB.
Our Close-ups: Task Completion
Our Machine Explaination and Walkthrough
Our Machine Run Videos