Put Money in a Piggy Bank
Mineola Middle School
Saturday, March 09, 2019 Setup Time:
8:00 AM Contest Start Time:
Live Division I - Ages 11 - 14 (Middle School)
Makayla Apter-Quinn - invitation signed.
Liliana DeCollibus - invitation signed.
Andrew Leiter - invitation signed.
Julia Manevitz - invitation signed.
James Marino - invitation signed.
Daniel Perrino - invitation signed.
Matthew Valente - invitation signed.
Robert Ely - invitation signed.
Angelina Pollak - invitation signed.
Dante Rafuna - invitation sent
What we're studying:
We are studying design thinking.Our Team Leader's favorite quote:
"Guys, stop screaming and get back to work!"Why we think we should win:
We had difficulty designing steps since more people made it easier to get off task. Even with this, we created a machine that we are truly proud of.Suggestion for next year's challenge:
Draw a line.
This year, our team changed from a team of 6 to a team of 10. This change made us more productive but more prone to argument. Since everyone worked on different parts of the machine, each piece is designed to work in different ways. As soon as we heard the challenge "put money in a piggy bank" we knew that a toy store would be perfect. We had a lot of trial and error, be it changing a step entirely or swapping out parts. The skills and personalities of our team are very different, but when we work together we accomplish great things.
Our Step List
1. Human pushes "OPEN" on a cash register.
2. A string attached to Cash register pulls a pin out of a rocket launcher
3. Pole comes down and pushes air out to a straw rocket
4. Straw Rocket hits a domino
5.the domino hits a small metal ball
6. The metal ball rolls down, hits a domino,
7.which hits a slightly larger ball,
8.which rolls down and hits a domino,
9. which hits an even bigger ball,
10. which hits a spool
11. The spools fall down, connected to a bowling bowl
12. The bowling ball falls, and a steel ball is hit from the scale pointer
13. The steel ball falls, and it pulls down one side of a scale
14. The other side of the scale tips skyward and a ball rolls down a rail
15. The ball drops and rolls down the xylophone
16. Ball pushes a smaller ball
17. The small ball goes down a clear tube
18. The ball finishes out the tube and falls through a clarinet.
19. It falls through and hits one side of a stick
20. A big ball rolls down a ramp, now unobscured by the stick
21. The ball rolls and hits a quarter
22. The quarter goes down a coin filter and goes into a 3-D printed piggy bank.
Our Close-ups: Photos
A maximum of 3 close-ups (scanned diagrams, photos). Images must be JPG or PNG, and less than 5 MB.
Our Close-ups: Task Completion
Our Machine Explaination and Walkthrough
Our Machine Run Videos